How do you “Grade” a Teacher?

Dec 2018
Florida
Holding someone accountable for their work is important. If you disagree with this statement, please emphasize that. The issue with teachers is that there is a lot to in to that. As a republican who does not follow lock step with the party? I see that as a BIG motivator behind views of individuals who align on the right.

I’m not a big fan of test on test on test. Especially when it is possible to have awful students year after year. So I have to ask. What do you think is a good measure of the performance of a teacher? Anything objective? What subjective measurements?

Apr 2014
Maryland
I am a teacher and one thing I would look at is how the other students are all doing. For instance I’ve seen parents complain that their child isn’t learning from a certain teacher because he failed every test. But yet the rest of the students did fine. I recall that I once gave a test and most of the kids failed and I told them that it was obviously my fault and not theirs
in my book for teachers, one thing I suggest is that if they are not happy teaching after three years they should look for another profession. I think some teachers think it’s going to be easy and if they can’t control the class they don’t belong in teaching. But I truly have to say that I think parents expectations sometimes are not realistic.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
As a parent of two who are at different stages of public education, and as someone who has a sister who has taught at the middle school and high school levels, I've been seriously impressed with most of the teachers I've interacted with.

We've had one "bad" teacher. This was my son's second grade teacher. She had clearly given up and hated her job.

When speaking with other parents who have had issues with their schools, I think there are a lot of parents with unrealistic expectations of teachers. At the same time, there are many teachers who have unrealistic expectations of parents. I've found that the most reasonable and rational education professionals are teachers or administrators who currently have children of their own enrolled in the same system. They truly see both sides of most issues and understand the challenges of both.

Grading teachers is tough because from year to year they get different mixes of students. The results are going to be inconsistent by nature. Results shouldn't be ignored though because consistent low student success over a run of 3-5 years could be a good indicator just as a track record of success over the same timeline. Combining those results with some kind of peer review grading and teacher scoring system by the parents may bring together a useful assessment number/system.

Dec 2018
Florida
I am a teacher and one thing I would look at is how the other students are all doing. For instance I’ve seen parents complain that their child isn’t learning from a certain teacher because he failed every test. But yet the rest of the students did fine. I recall that I once gave a test and most of the kids failed and I told them that it was obviously my fault and not theirs
in my book for teachers, one thing I suggest is that if they are not happy teaching after three years they should look for another profession. I think some teachers think it’s going to be easy and if they can’t control the class they don’t belong in teaching. But I truly have to say that I think parents expectations sometimes are not realistic.
I 100% agree about parental expectations. Especially because during my brief time teaching? I had a parent tell me about things I need to do for her kid. Things that were her job.

Though I do have an issue of looking at “other kids.” Maybe not an “issue,” as much as I’d want to make sure the kids were performing at a decent level and not getting relaxed standards just because they can’t handle the material.

Sep 2015
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Class-Biased Indentured Servitude

The ruling class judges them by how many of their students swallow the stupidity of getting a job by going four years without a job, which is all college "education" means.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Holding someone accountable for their work is important. If you disagree with this statement, please emphasize that. The issue with teachers is that there is a lot to in to that. As a republican who does not follow lock step with the party? I see that as a BIG motivator behind views of individuals who align on the right.

I’m not a big fan of test on test on test. Especially when it is possible to have awful students year after year. So I have to ask. What do you think is a good measure of the performance of a teacher? Anything objective? What subjective measurements?
All public schools are regulated by the State so they have their own benchmarks or competencies teachers must possess. If I were large in charge, :) I would use a variety of benchmarks.

1. Student engagement. Do your students show up for class? Do you have a lot of absenteeism? Are you interesting with your delivery? I have walked by some classrooms and a bomb could go off in the hall and they would not waiver, the teacher had them engaged with the lesson. Some, you walk by and see half the students with their heads down, sleeping.

2) Quarterly observations. Combination of scheduled and random. My State performs scheduled observations and administration does a few as well.

3) Classroom management. If a teacher is allowing the students to run wild and there are issues stemming from it, it disrupts learning. IMO, if you are sending a lot of students to the alternative behavior center (principles office), there is a problem with class room management.

4) Good curriculum and a active learning lesson plan. Students should be busy all the time. Responding to workbook type questions is not appropriate class time use.

5) Evidence of meeting learning objectives. This does not have to be exams only. You can use technology, projects, group/team work, etc.

As far as awful students, it is part of our job to turn them into good students. :) Each student is unique and if you get to know them, you can usually change some behaviors and meet them half way on others.

Reactions: Blues63
Sep 2015
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Let me guess, you’re a Trumper
If You Don't Have a Full-Time Income at Age 18, You Will Never Grow Up

And you're a Diploma Dumbo. College is for teenagers who are afraid to grow up; that's why the rulers want us to treat kids like dependent tots.

Apr 2014
Maryland
If You Don't Have a Full-Time Income at Age 18, You Will Never Grow Up

And you're a Diploma Dumbo. College is for teenagers who are afraid to grow up; that's why the rulers want us to treat kids like dependent tots.
Remind me to tell that to all the doctors and lawyers and accountants and scientists that they are only diploma Dumbo’s. Obviously you’re not educated and have scorn for those who are obviously meore knowledgeable than you.What could be worse than being educated? Because if you’re educated then Trump won’t like you. As he said he loves the uneducated because they will defend him no matter what. He sure knows his base