How do you identify racism?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
You do NOT have the right to say to a person, "I do not see you as you are, I want to see you as I would be more comfortable seeing you."

We live in different realities. Denying this is stupid and harmful and destructive. I'm sick of people trying to pretend that if people just wouldn't acknowledge that they're not white heterosexuals in a majority white heterosexual society, then they wouldn't have any problems.

Do NOT deny differences.

This video is very powerful and the people who most need to watch it, won't. As evidenced by BodyDouble's post. Some people will just never get it. Like the young lady who chose to walk away.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
This is very powerful.

The Angry Eye with Jane Elliot

[video=youtube;TZKWkhnSb5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZKWkhnSb5k[/video]
Endured the entire video. Thought it was sort of pathetic.

An overbearing self righteous jackass trying to force/sell a packaged set of hyperbole and distortion to a captive set of students.

metheron

Former Staff
Nov 2006
MI
I think when one goes out in search of racism, they create it where its not. Racists are not usually very subtle. They are usually pretty identifiable.

The term, and issue, has really been hurt by the calls politicizing of the term since Obama took office.

Sep 2011
Well, I see some of you stormed out of the room with the student in the bandana. It is difficult when a mirror is held up to some of us even if we are not seen in that mirror. Some of us wish to see while we are not there, and others cannot stand the reflection.

I though the class was brilliant, poignant, and applicable.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Well, I see some of you stormed out of the room with the student in the bandana. It is difficult when a mirror is held up to some of us even if we are not seen in that mirror. Some of us wish to see while we are not there, and others cannot stand the reflection.

I though the class was brilliant, poignant, and applicable.
Exactly. I suspected many members here would "walk out of the room" and sure enough, they did.

Last edited:

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
This is very powerful.

The Angry Eye with Jane Elliot

[video=youtube;TZKWkhnSb5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZKWkhnSb5k[/video]
It's amazing how fast the blind fold. The teacher didn't really apply much pressure and some still snapped. She did a good job creating the atmosphere of hate in such a controlled setting. Great exercise..

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I think when one goes out in search of racism, they create it where its not. Racists are not usually very subtle. They are usually pretty identifiable.

The term, and issue, has really been hurt by the calls politicizing of the term since Obama took office.
Did you watch the video? Racism is pervasive in our culture. Jane Elliot has been doing this work since long before Obama came along. So it's not something that suddenly popped up and became a problem when he was elected. Pretending that's true is very dishonest. But a lot of people have been doing that since he was elected.