How hippies changed the way we eat

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Great article, explains the origins of the "health food" revolution, which was really just people not wanting to eat chemicals and processed crap with no nutrition.

For those of you who didn’t grow up eating lentil and brown-rice casseroles, it may be hard to recognize what came to be called “hippie food.” That’s because so many of the ingredients that the counterculture of the 1960s and 1970s adopted, defying the suspicion and disgust of the rest of the country, have become foods many of us eat every day.

The organic chard you bought at Kroger last week? In the early 1970s, farming organically was considered a delusional act. The granola-yogurt parfait your coworker just picked up at Starbucks? In 1971, both granola and yogurt were foreign substances, their reputation as tied to long-haired peaceniks as pourover coffee is to lumberjack beards and high-waisted jeans. Back then, whole-wheat bread had disappeared from grocery stores. Hummus wasn’t a childhood staple but a dish only spotted in Middle Eastern markets and vegetarian cafes.

*snip*

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, food came to mirror the fears of a generation of young Americans as well as their idealism. Hippie food was a rejection—of all the forces that created Wonder Bread and TV dinners—as much as it was an embrace of new ingredients and new flavors. Eating brown rice was a political act, just as wearing your hair long or refusing to shave your armpits could subject you to ridicule and harassment.
Hard to imagine now, but there was a time (I actually remember this) when parents thought their teenagers wanting to eat healthy food was a silly phase and discouraged it. My parents were raised on farms and thought growing your own vegetables other than the occasional tomato plant or fruit tree was something poor people did because they couldn't afford to go to the grocery store and buy produce.

Of course they thought things like yoga and environmentalism were silly also. After Love Canal, people finally got that using the earth as a giant trash can probably isn't the best idea. Makes me sad that so many people don't consider the bad ideas we had during the good old days they want to go back to. I think we all owe our hippie foremothers and fathers a debt of gratitude. :kiss:

How Hippies Changed the Way We Eat

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I lived and still have family in Vermont which at one time was called the "Hippie Capital of the world." They have been living like this for decades. A lot of the small markets dont even sell things like Pop Tarts or what we would consider junk food. Lots of restaurants have taken pledges to not sell anything with high fructose corn syrup in them. They were the first state to mandate GMO labeling. But its not all necessarily positive, they also buy into a lot of the supplemental holistic stuff too. So they might reach for home remedies over going to the doctor and they have a pretty high rate of anti vaxxers because its not "natural." You also can find people that think wifi, cell phone towers and wind turbines cause cancer. So its a mixed bag.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Great article, explains the origins of the "health food" revolution, which was really just people not wanting to eat chemicals and processed crap with no nutrition.

Hard to imagine now, but there was a time (I actually remember this) when parents thought their teenagers wanting to eat healthy food was a silly phase and discouraged it. My parents were raised on farms and thought growing your own vegetables other than the occasional tomato plant or fruit tree was something poor people did because they couldn't afford to go to the grocery store and buy produce.

Of course they thought things like yoga and environmentalism were silly also. After Love Canal, people finally got that using the earth as a giant trash can probably isn't the best idea. Makes me sad that so many people don't consider the bad ideas we had during the good old days they want to go back to. I think we all owe our hippie foremothers and fathers a debt of gratitude. :kiss:

Hippies are the bomb!! :) I get the opportunity to spend time with a few Hippies when I attend my favorite Grateful Dead festival in the summer. There are a lot of older hippies who are there. Very kind and loving people. I feel I was born 10 years too late.

My parents were raised in the south and grew up cooking with gross lard, and of course bacon was served with just about everything. I remember my grand mothers favorite meal was fried salt pork with the drippings poured over leaf lettuce and green onions. My parents developed high blood pressure at a young age..in their 40's. They jumped on healthier eating habits because they had good healthcare and was able to see the doctor. I was raised on substitutes, such as salt, low fat margarine, skim milk, etc. They always raised a small garden with veggies. My Dad still raises a big garden, which he gives away most of the veggies now that he is retired.

I agree...when it comes to food and healthy lifestyle, the Hippies were right all along.

Jan 2014
California

Ms. Blueneck,

I don't know if it was so much hippie culture, but an awareness that the status quo could not be maintained. Besides, hippie culture is such a nebulous term.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I lived and still have family in Vermont which at one time was called the "Hippie Capital of the world." They have been living like this for decades. A lot of the small markets dont even sell things like Pop Tarts or what we would consider junk food. Lots of restaurants have taken pledges to not sell anything with high fructose corn syrup in them. They were the first state to mandate GMO labeling. But its not all necessarily positive, they also buy into a lot of the supplemental holistic stuff too. So they might reach for home remedies over going to the doctor and they have a pretty high rate of anti vaxxers because its not "natural." You also can find people that think wifi, cell phone towers and wind turbines cause cancer. So its a mixed bag.
Agreed on there being a tendency towards excess, but I think that's a side effect of the "whole foods lifestyle" having become popular, many see a market there and want to improve on that which doesn't necessarily need improving. Capitalizing on people's fear is also a non-hippie thing IIRC.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

Wish more people would "adopt" the Hippie way of eating -

Too much salt — and not enough whole grains, fruits and vegetables — may be shaving years off our lives, a new analysis suggests.

In a study published Wednesday in the journal Lancet, researchers looked at people’s eating habits across 195 countries to estimate how much poor diets contribute to mortality. Their findings? That 11 million people die each year around the world because, at least in part, of certain foods or lack thereof, according to the study.

Lead author Ashkan Afshin, an epidemiologist at the University of Washington, said the researchers estimated that, overall, poor diets are responsible for more deaths around the world than any other risk factor, including cigarette smoking, known to be one of the greatest threats to public health.

The problem, he said, is not only what people are eating, but it’s also what they’re not eating. The study estimated that globally, 3 million deaths were attributed to too much sodium — but another 3 million deaths were attributed to a lack of adequate whole grains, and another 2 million deaths were attributed to a lack of adequate fruit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...an-smoking-study-says/?utm_term=.9655ee156dcf

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Hippies are the bomb!! :) I get the opportunity to spend time with a few Hippies when I attend my favorite Grateful Dead festival in the summer. There are a lot of older hippies who are there. Very kind and loving people. I feel I was born 10 years too late.

My parents were raised in the south and grew up cooking with gross lard, and of course bacon was served with just about everything. I remember my grand mothers favorite meal was fried salt pork with the drippings poured over leaf lettuce and green onions. My parents developed high blood pressure at a young age..in their 40's. They jumped on healthier eating habits because they had good healthcare and was able to see the doctor. I was raised on substitutes, such as salt, low fat margarine, skim milk, etc. They always raised a small garden with veggies. My Dad still raises a big garden, which he gives away most of the veggies now that he is retired.

I agree...when it comes to food and healthy lifestyle, the Hippies were right all along.
I kick hippies.