How Many Earth-Like Planets Are Around Sun-Like Stars?

Jan 2016
Colorado
We are learning more! And it seems that such planets may be quite common!

How many Earth-like planets are around sun-like stars?

Key paragraph:

Based on their simulations, the researchers estimate that planets very close to Earth in size, from three-quarters to one-and-a-half times the size of earth, with orbital periods ranging from 237 to 500 days, occur around approximately one in four stars. Importantly, their model quantifies the uncertainty in that estimate. They recommend that future planet-finding missions plan for a true rate that ranges from as low about one planet for every 33 stars to as high as nearly one planet for every two stars.

Much more at the link....

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
It would be impossible to count.

It’s crazy just how small our little planet is in our solar system and how small our little solar system is in our galaxy and how small our galaxy is in our universe

Each of these is a galaxy with countless stars and countless solar system and countless planets.

Space is amazing
1565853465674.jpeg

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
there are probably millions of civilizations more or less like ours, where living things have evolved into consciousness.

Reactions: Lunchboxxy

CtC

Mar 2019
California
We are learning more! And it seems that such planets may be quite common!

How many Earth-like planets are around sun-like stars?

Key paragraph:

Based on their simulations, the researchers estimate that planets very close to Earth in size, from three-quarters to one-and-a-half times the size of earth, with orbital periods ranging from 237 to 500 days, occur around approximately one in four stars. Importantly, their model quantifies the uncertainty in that estimate. They recommend that future planet-finding missions plan for a true rate that ranges from as low about one planet for every 33 stars to as high as nearly one planet for every two stars.

Much more at the link....
Be a bit of a sticky wicket getting there. Would need a Fusion Reactor and a new theory of Relativity.

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
there are probably millions of civilizations more or less like ours, where living things have evolved into consciousness.
How narcissistic is it to think that out of trillions and trillions of planets around countless stars that we are the only planet with sentient beings.

C’mon. No way people

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Be a bit of a sticky wicket getting there. Would need a Fusion Reactor and a new theory of Relativity.
yeah, that's why fermi's paradox doesn't really bother me that much.

CtC

Mar 2019
California
yeah, that's why fermi's paradox doesn't really bother me that much.
Well ,according to theory ,it would take about 300 days to reach Light Speed at 1G acceleration. It might SEEM like a quick trip to Tau Ceti , but many years would really pass on Earth. According to theory ,of course.