How old were you when you knew?

Jul 2015
Florida
How old were you when you knew you were gay, straight, bi, fluid, asexual, none-of-the-above, whatever you consider your sexuality to be?

I remember the night and the location -- but not the exact year -- so I can only narrow it down to my early to mid-20's.

Jun 2013
VA
Can I also throw in Yvonne Craig as "Batgirl"? And then later as "Marta" on "Star Trek"?

:)

*(BTW, despite the numerous jokes?

The scene with Kirk and Marta in bed in "Whom The Gods Destroy" was the ONLY instance of "Captain Kirk having sex with green women" in the TV series.

Until Chris Pine in "Star Trek-2009" when he was caught in bed with an Orion woman who was Uhura's roommate.))

Reactions: 1 person
Apr 2014
The liberal commie infested, queer loving north ea
How old were you when you knew you were gay, straight, bi, fluid, asexual, none-of-the-above, whatever you consider your sexuality to be?

I remember the night and the location -- but not the exact year -- so I can only narrow it down to my early to mid-20's.
I grew up in Brooklyn New York the 40's and 50's and there was no question about being straight. Everybody was- except for the freaks that we heard of in far off Greenwich village in Manhattan- or so I thought. "Homosexuals" were not actual human beings and good for nothing except to be ridiculed and derided. There was an older kid around who caught hell and called faggot just for wearing Bermuda shorts. So I never thought much about being straight.

However, there was a time when a male friend and I were playing strip poker in his room and I lost my pants and got turned on. It was a freak out and we quickly got dressed and never spoke of it again - as I recall. I must have been in my early teens full of raging hormones. What did this mean, I have no idea to this day, and I'm 69. In all of those years, I never had any such experience again, including during the time that my wife and I were swinging and some men- and many women- engaged in bi sexual behavior. I, however, never had any desire to and in fact found myself to be averse to it. I don't have any moral problem with homosexuality -and fully support LGBT rights- but the idea of engaging in it myself is foreign and unthinkable. The prohibition that was ingrained in me was through and deep.

It is only in my later years that I have come to appreciate the complexity of human sexuality and the fact that so many people - maybe most- are not fully hetero or homosexual- including myself. Had I been a millennial instead of a boomer, my sexual experiences might have been much different. However, I am a well adjust, heterosexual, married male and at this late date, I'm not going to mess with it.

Reactions: 3 people
Jun 2014
United States
I grew up in Brooklyn New York the 40's and 50's and there was no question about being straight. Everybody was- except for the freaks that we heard of in far off Greenwich village in Manhattan- or so I thought. "Homosexuals" were not actual human beings and good for nothing except to be ridiculed and derided. There was an older kid around who caught hell and called faggot just for wearing Bermuda shorts. So I never thought much about being straight.

I know what you mean. What my peers and myself knew of homosexuality as kids was basically just ridicule of the very concept of homosexuality. I was so naïve, even in my teens, that I had gay friends (male and female) and didn't even realize that they were gay. I mean, maybe I noticed that they were "different", but I was honestly shocked when some of them came out in their 20s, or otherwise revealed their sexual preferences. I don't really care how other people want to have sex, so long as it's consensual.

Reactions: 1 person