How Palin ushered in "post-truth" era

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Appears the documentary broadcasts tomorrow and Tuesday.

Could be interesting. Curiously there was no mention of Sarah Palin in the trailer.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Atkkisson documents the changes in public truth telling (or the lack thereof) and propaganda since revolutionary times in the Smear.

The modern changes started with the Bork confirmation hearings and yes, were part of the Republican resistance movement against Bill Clinton.

Propaganda has been slowly replacing journalism for the past 60 years.

The Smear

"Birth of the Modern Smear"

Atkkisson goes all the way back to Hamilton and Jefferson, whom, according to a professor of Journalism at the University of Maryland, wrote anonymously for partisan newspapers and planted salacious sex accusations against each other. According to the source, this was pretty obvious to observers at the time, though the Sally Hemmings accusation has been both supported and invalidated by various historians (my comment, based the on the Burns vid on Jefferson; Atkkisson seems pretty sure the accusations were true).

The full title of the chapter suggests the author's suggested genesis of the modern smear: Spies, Bork and the Clintons.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
You're correct on that one.

Bill Clinton has the most famous presidential lie in the history of presidential lies.
Sorry, other direction. Nixon was a far, far bigger liar than Clinton - and Trump makes Nixon look like an honest guy.

Jul 2014
midwest
Sorry, other direction. Nixon was a far, far bigger liar than Clinton - and Trump makes Nixon look like an honest guy.
Billy C has the most famous lie in the history of presidential lies.

We know they ALL lie.

He holds the top spot in that category...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Billy C has the most famous lie in the history of presidential lies.

We know they ALL lie.

He holds the top spot in that category...
Not for one politically-induced lie, he does not. Nixon lied for years, and Trump has done so continuously.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
You betcha!

I said this way back in 2009:

Reactions: Davocrat
Jul 2014
midwest
Not for one politically-induced lie, he does not. Nixon lied for years, and Trump has done so continuously.
Clinton still has the record for the most famous lie as president.

And, perhaps always will.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013

Fame is irrelevant. He was not a bigger liar than Nixon or Trump. In the long run, the fame will be Trump's just for sheer volume alone.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio

The only people who wanted an answer to that question were Republicans. The rest of us were content to let marital problems of the president and the first lady be dealt with by them.