How Pete Buttigieg is Reviving the Pragmatic, Progressive Ideals of the Social Gospel Movement

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
How Pete Buttigieg is Reviving the Pragmatic, Progressive Ideals of the Social Gospel Movement
by David Mislin, The Conversation

"Pete Buttigieg’s presidential campaign has attracted new attention since his aggressive performance in October’s Democratic primary debate."
"As a historian of religion, I believe that Buttigieg’s popularity also stems from another source: his linking of faith to his political positions. In interviews, Buttigieg has said that “Christian faith” can lead one “in a progressive direction.” He has also said that Christianity teaches “skepticism of the wealthy and the powerful and the established.”
"Pete Buttigieg’s emphasis on policies that appeal to centrists rather than liberal positions reflects this pragmatic tradition."

###################################################################################
There's the mistaken idea that Mayor Pete is strictly liberal on everything. That could not be farther from the truth. He is a religious man who cares deeply about faith and God which greatly reflects in his thinking and actions and that cannot be overlooked.

Reactions: Blueneck
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
by David Mislin, The Conversation

###################################################################################
There's the mistaken idea that Mayor Pete is strictly liberal on everything. That could not be farther from the truth. He is a religious man who cares deeply about faith and God which greatly reflects in his thinking and actions and that cannot be overlooked.
That's a shame. I like Buttigieg, but I resent this religious aspect to our elections.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
That's a shame. I like Buttigieg, but I resent this religious aspect to our elections.
Madeline, let me ask you something in seriousness. Do you say that because you are non-religious or is it due to something else? Just wondering.

Reactions: Blueneck

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I like that about him. People have to get their moral compass from somewhere and I have no issue with the teachings of Jesus being the source. As long as it's not being distorted to use government power to enforce just one line from the old testament on everyone. Pete, I'm sure, has had his share of being treated like crap by vindictive Christians because he's gay so I would guess he would recognize religion overstepping it's boundaries.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. How does Mayor Buttgig feel about that?