How Realistic Is "House Of Cards"?

Are Politicians Really Like That?

• Most are, at least occasionally.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Hell yes.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • They have to be pragmatic to get things done.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Not my Politicians! Probably yours, though.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
This is a Netflix TV series in which the main characters, a married couple, engage in all sorts of psycho behavior to become powerful, from murder to blackmail to starting wars, etc.

IYO, are all politicians this pernicious? Just the other guy's politicians? Is it worse at the local level than the national one?

Your opinion?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Politics is a pretty rough occupation. I don't think politicians murder anyone as Frank Underwood has, but it ain't beanbag.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
This is a Netflix TV series in which the main characters, a married couple, engage in all sorts of psycho behavior to become powerful, from murder to blackmail to starting wars, etc.

IYO, are all politicians this pernicious? Just the other guy's politicians? Is it worse at the local level than the national one?

Your opinion?
I like The Brink...

[video=youtube_share;4TmiDb_BMfo]http://youtu.be/4TmiDb_BMfo[/video]

May 2012
By the wall
From what I have seen while interning with three congressmen it is very accurate. Of course the show is a bit dramatized but it basically gets it right. As a lobbiest for my university I mostly work with city officials and they are very different. Most of them have normal lives unlike state or federal politicians who's lives revolve more around their jobs.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
From what I have seen while interning with three congressmen it is very accurate. Of course the show is a bit dramatized but it basically gets it right. As a lobbiest for my university I mostly work with city officials and they are very different. Most of them have normal lives unlike state or federal politicians who's lives revolve more around their jobs.
Ya, I think it really matters whether the politician in question is only doing it part-time.

On balance, I'd guess murders are rare, if only because that's not a good problem-solving technique.

Just about everything else is likely going on, though.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I like the show but aspects of it are over the top.
Me too. But the shooting and the liver? Yeah, that was over the top. I'm mid-way through this season. According to my son the second half get's a lot better.

And Kevin Spacey? He's amazing now matter what he does :)

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
SoCal
Me too. But the shooting and the liver? Yeah, that was over the top. I'm mid-way through this season. According to my son the second half get's a lot better.

And Kevin Spacey? He's amazing now matter what he does :)
It's a fun show. Homeland is not bad either, if you've seen any of that.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
It's a fun show. Homeland is not bad either, if you've seen any of that.
I've been meaning to get to watching that as well. Considering how bad regular tv has gotten, I've taken to semi-binge watching some of more interesting shows :)