How should the journalism community respond to their coverage of Russian Collusion (2016-2019) given Mueller's findings?

Mar 2019
DE, US
Just cover it honestly and don't nitpick stories, report all the news. tRump is guilty and it will take time for people who only learn by pictures to figure it out. A picture of him and his family in handcuffs is what they need to see.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
This thread seems to be abandoned by the Trumpcult. I wonder why?
Haven't seen much in the way of mea culpas for the presumptuous coverage of the press. I am waiting for the AG and IG's reports to see if there are any changes of heart.

If not, the self delusion continues. C'est la Vie.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Haven't seen much in the way of mea culpas for the presumptuous coverage of the press. I am waiting for the AG and IG's reports to see if there are any changes of heart.

If not, the self delusion continues. C'est la Vie.
Nor have we seen this in the Trumpcult here either.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Nor have we seen this in the Trumpcult here either.
Correct. We live in Propaganda nation. Journalism is in trouble. But as it affected the choosing of Mueller, the biased and conspiracy theory ladened pres coverage of early 2017 was pervasive and often, just plain wrong. They missed the real story because treason was a more compelling story line. Many buried the fact of Trump business ambitions and the Mueller indictments show that that was where the provable crimes were occurring. The fact is that the many voluntary contacts (ones where Trump associates initiated the contact from scratch) with Russians had more to do with sales and financing for business interests than they did with Trump pursuing collusion. Any legal trouble remaining for Trump won't have a thing to do with collusion.

Last edited:

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Correct. We live in Propaganda nation. Journalism is in trouble. But as it affected the choosing of Mueller, the biased and conspiracy theory ladened pres coverage of early 2017 was pervasive and often, just plain wrong. They missed the real story because treason was a more compelling story line. Many buried the fact of Trump business ambitions and the Mueller indictments show that that was where the provable crimes were occurring. The fact is that the many voluntary contacts (ones where Trump associates initiated the contact from scratch) with Russians had more to do with sales and financing for business interests than they did with Trump pursuing collusion. Any legal trouble remaining for Trump won't have a thing to do with collusion.
Politics had everything to do with Clinton's impeachment too. Look at old clips of Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham posturing about morality back in the day and their complete lack of concern in our current president's behavior and you can see it quite clearly.

Agreed on the propaganda thing, but it's not just the left or the "mainstream" media doing this, it's everywhere. Ever watch One America News? Presents itself as actual news, and they do report on things that aren't politics which I appreciate, but the pro administration bias is palpable.

It's a problem.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Politics had everything to do with Clinton's impeachment too. Look at old clips of Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham posturing about morality back in the day and their complete lack of concern in our current president's behavior and you can see it quite clearly.

Agreed on the propaganda thing, but it's not just the left or the "mainstream" media doing this, it's everywhere. Ever watch One America News? Presents itself as actual news, and they do report on things that aren't politics which I appreciate, but the pro administration bias is palpable.

It's a problem.
I can only stand OAN for a few minutes before I have to turn it off. Sometimes it's "reporting" is pure propaganda in the vein of Newsmax..

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Here's a fairly recent story (around 6 months) that details Trump's interlaced Russian business pursuits during the 2016 election.

The relevance to this thread is that many news outlets reported contacts, contacts, contacts without mentioning what is turning out to be the real story.

The press wanted the Trump as traitor story line because it was so much more incendiary than Trump campaigning with crossed purposes.

If wishes were horses.

Trump Denies Business Dealings With Russia. His Former Lawyer Contradicts Him.

COHEN agreed to travel to Russia in connection with the Moscow Project and took steps in contemplation of Individual 1’s possible travel to Russia. COHEN and Individual 2 discussed on multiple occasions traveling to Russia to pursue the Moscow Project.