How Tim Tebow survived Abortion

Sep 2013
On a hill
What is with my view? I recognize that since the dawn of organized government...it has attracted the most corrupt people in history. That is the point of our style of government. To limit their influence on society. Our government is no different in the attraction of the sociopaths and narcissists. So I’d rather be cynical and simply distrust the lot of them.

I’m sure you wouldn’t want to start opening closets in DC. It might be a tad dark for the less cynical.
Do you think trump only became corrupt after entering government?

Sep 2013
On a hill
Of course not. I’m more cynical than that. Lol
Well, if we want to limit the impact on corruption on our lives, perhaps we need to limit the wealth, and power of individuals in the private sector as well.

One way to do that is through campaign finance reform - but the conservatives seem to think that is an infringement on free speech.

An Australian study has found that about one in five corporate executives are psychopaths – roughly the same rate as among prisoners.

The study of 261 senior professionals in the United States found that 21 per cent had clinically significant levels of psychopathic traits. The rate of psychopathy in the general population is about one in a hundred.

1 in 5 CEOs are psychopaths, study finds

Dec 2018
Florida
Well, if we want to limit the impact on corruption on our lives, perhaps we need to limit the wealth, and power of individuals in the private sector as well.
Nah. I’m not too concerned about how much others make. I’d rather just be left alone and have others left alone too.

One way to do that is through campaign finance reform - but the conservatives seem to think that is an infringement on free speech.
I don’t know. That one is tough. Your money? Your right to spend it. I’m sure if the left backed the right conservatives (aka libertarians), they could limit it again.

Jun 2013
Here
What is with my view? I recognize that since the dawn of organized government...it has attracted the most corrupt people in history. That is the point of our style of government. To limit their influence on society. Our government is no different in the attraction of the sociopaths and narcissists. So I’d rather be cynical and simply distrust the lot of them.

I’m sure you wouldn’t want to start opening closets in DC. It might be a tad dark for the less cynical.

What did you just say? Can you please translate? What is the point of our government? To limit the influence of "the most corrupt people in history", the cause for attracting the most corrupt people in history or both?

As far as opening closets? I doubt opening closets anywhere (including in your house) would not reveal darkness. So yes, I am skeptical, if not cynical and I don't trust those who seem to think a representative government is more corrupt than the population that elects it. I am also aware there is no functional society without trust, so I look for ways to trust or reasons to not individuals, regardless of whether they are politicians that non-politicians elect, then try to bribe and influence or whether they are they are politicians that not just claim to have positive virtuous secular or religious values, but walk their talk.

To claim government is more corrupt than the people that elect it, seems to be forgetting one half of the equation, that being those who elect those who govern them, then call them "corrupt".......

I choose to believe there is "good" and "evil" (measured through most secular or religious values) in all people, all sectors, all facets of life and there are people to trust because they present reasons and reputations to trust them over people who present reasons and reputations NOT to trust them. Is anyone perfect? I don't believe so, including me (why lie to ourselves?) , but in the weighing of people's positives versus their negatives, I believe there is a means to have a less corrupt government, when there is a less corrupt society electing that government.

Jun 2013
Here
Nah. I’m not too concerned about how much others make. I’d rather just be left alone and have others left alone too.

I don’t know. That one is tough. Your money? Your right to spend it. I’m sure if the left backed the right conservatives (aka libertarians), they could limit it again.

Are you concerned that those with nearly immeasurable disposable income will pay off others to do things that suppress/oppress your freedoms, while promoting their own?

The founders of the government you appear to be highly cynical about were concerned about what you don't seem concerned about, even as you decry corruption. You sound a bit confused in what you really want or don't want or how things work or don't work with regard to positives and negatives. What I have noticed appears to be an increase in inconsistencies and contradictions to any sort of clear direction or consensus on values and as a result there seems to be a lot of self-sabotaging going on.

One example are those will have 5 children, yet decry the destruction of the planet. Some more examples would be, those who want democracy and representative government, but don't turn out to vote. Those who want clean and renewable sources of energy, but tear apart and protest clean means to produce it and the harvesting of renewable energy sources. Those that want the "sins" of homosexuality and abortion gone, while they elect a narcissistic, greedy, gluttonous, lying, adulterer, who promised (for some reason did not lie to them?) to outlaw homosexuality and abortion. Those who don't think twice about offending others, yet want others to never offend them.........etc. etc. etc.

"In order to prove this assertion, I shall premise two propositions, which have never been controverted: First, where there is wealth, there will be power; and, secondly, the rich have always been an over-match for the poor in all contests for power."

"These truths being admitted, I desire to know what can prevent our single representation being filled, in the course of a few years, with a majority of rich men? Say not, the people will not choose such men to represent them. The influence of wealth at elections is irresistible. It has been seen and felt in Pennsylvania, and I am obliged in justice to my subject to say, that there are poor men among us as prepared to be influenced, as the rich are prepared to influence them. The fault must be laid in both cases upon human nature. The consequence of a majority of rich men getting into the legislature is plain. Their wealth will administer fuel to the love of arbitrary power that is common to all men. The present Assembly have furnished them with precedents for breaking the Constitution. Farewell now to annual elections! Public emergencies will sanctify the most daring measures. The clamours of their constituents will be silenced with offices, bribes or punishments. An aristocracy will be established, and Pennsylvania will be inhabited like most of the countries in Europe, with only two sorts of animals, tyrants and slaves."
-Benjamin Rush, Observations on the Government of Pennsylvania -
Selected Writings 57--64, 67--69
Bicameralism: Benjamin Rush, Observations on the Government of Pennsylvania

Looks like Benjamin was right on the mark, 242 years ago, but perhaps for thinking bicameral legislatures might solve or deter what he points to. Although, perhaps it will be the bicameral legislature in 2019 that might possibly prove to be, at some level, the deterrent he believed it might be.......

Better than being a one party state........ One-Party States | Encyclopedia.com

I believe the nation we fought for independence from recognized the problems feudal systems, monarchical and aristocratic societies present to those without hereditary ownership of land or the wealth and favor that results from ownership of land and what the land produces. In other words, the REST of society. But then, some don't seem to mind a small few wealthy people, keeping them down on the farm as peasants, who literally feed their masters and feed the wealth of those that are keeping them, down on the farm and peasants.

Here, we seem to have become closer to the things we sought independence from and allowed or are allowing all the things Benjamin Rush spoke to, to occur and allowing people to dictate alternate realities. One of the most prevalent seems to be that "greed is good"......... But for the greedy, I think humanity, secular OR religious, can recognize all the negatives that come with greed and the gluttony that accompanies it. Somehow in the transformation to the dominance of a "greed is good" economy and society the American dream went from modest and moderate for a greater number to Mercedes and McMansions for the relative few.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
On a hill

Well, then youre fine with the psychopaths in the private sector bending government to their advantage?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
... More than 24 years ago, Pam and her husband Bob were serving as missionaries to the Philippines and praying for a fifth child. Pam contracted amoebic dysentery, an infection of the intestine caused by a parasite found in contaminated food or drink.

She went into a coma and was treated with strong antibiotics before they discovered she was pregnant. Doctors urged her to abort the baby for her own safety, telling her the medicines had caused irreversible damage to her baby. ...
I call bullshit on the story. Doctors in the Philippines would NOT have encouraged her to abort the fetus, because abortion has been illegal in the Philippines since 1930. Obviously, illegal abortions are available in every country where abortions are banned - but doctors are unlikely to risk criminal prosecution by steering patients toward an illegal procedure.

Dec 2018
Florida
Are you concerned that those with nearly immeasurable disposable income will pay off others to do things that suppress/oppress your freedoms, while promoting their own?
Sure. That’s why I vote. But I’m more concerned about people trying to be my thought police and tell me how to think, feel, or act.

The founders of the government you appear to be highly cynical about were concerned about what you don't seem concerned about, even as you decry corruption. You sound a bit confused in what you really want or don't want or how things work or don't work with regard to positives and negatives. What I have noticed appears to be an increase in inconsistencies and contradictions to any sort of clear direction or consensus on values and as a result there seems to be a lot of self-sabotaging going on.

One example are those will have 5 children, yet decry the destruction of the planet. Those who want democracy, but don't turn out to vote. Those who want clean and renewable sources of energy, but tear apart and protest clean means to produce it and the harvesting of renewable energy sources. Those that want the "sins" of homosexuality and abortion gone, while they elect a narcissistic, greedy, gluttonous, lying, adulterer, who promised (for some reason did not lie to them?) to outlaw homosexuality and abortion. Those who don't think twice about offending others, yet want others to never offend them.........etc. etc. etc.
People are full of contradictions.