How to cut down on bureaucracy in schools?

remington50

Dec 2018
Florida
I am wondering how others view the school system in that sense. What ways do you think we could reduce excessive structure and rules? Conversely, are there rules that you think need to be in place? What do you think is wrong with our system? Or out of place?

remington50

Dec 2018
Florida
Wow. So it seems like this just isn’t popular. Even though it is crazy important for our society.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Wow. So it seems like this just isn’t popular. Even though it is crazy important for our society.
Well it's a big question. I think overall (despite what people might say) our education system isn't all that bad, considering the huge variation in students, and the pockets of extreme poverty that we allow to exist here. Most of the countries that do so much better than us in education outcomes, like Scandanavian countries, France and Germany and Japan, etc. don't really have the extreme poverty we have and the crime that comes with it. They certainly have some, but the US is off the charts of the western world.

The thing I think would be a real shame is if the trend towards turning schools into basically "STEM job training centers" continues. Education is more than simply skill training, unless you think children are nothing more than potential workers.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Well it's a big question. I think overall (despite what people might say) our education system isn't all that bad, considering the huge variation in students, and the pockets of extreme poverty that we allow to exist here. Most of the countries that do so much better than us in education outcomes, like Scandanavian countries, France and Germany and Japan, etc. don't really have the extreme poverty we have and the crime that comes with it. They certainly have some, but the US is off the charts of the western world.

The thing I think would be a real shame is if the trend towards turning schools into basically "STEM job training centers" continues. Education is more than simply skill training, unless you think children are nothing more than potential workers.
Im guessing even poor children in the countries you mention have access to medical care, child care that keeps them safe after school, and healthy school lunches.

Then there is the french

However we do have the biggest military budget.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Im guessing even poor children in the countries you mention have access to medical care, child care that keeps them safe after school, and healthy school lunches.

Then there is the french

However we do have the biggest military budget.
Not a very appetizing looking lunch. The fruit is the only part I would eat.
Beet Salad?? Gag me with a pitchfork.