How To End Harassment Of Jews On Campus

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
New AMCHA Report: A Paradigm Shift In How To Address And Put An End To Harassment Of Jews On Campus

The ADL has also come out with a report, Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents: Year in Review 2017, which examines not just campus antisemitism, but also threats against K-12 schools, attacks on Jewish cemeteries and bomb threats.

[C]ounting incidences of antisemitism on campus is not enough. A small swastika drawn in a bathroom stall creates a different emotional impact on a student than the same swastika when it is etched into that same Jewish student’s dorm room door. The former is an expression of an offensive opinion, while the latter implies a desire to harass and intimidate.

31 of Israel-related incidents (44%) were intended to impede or silence pro-Israel expression. For example:

• At Columbia University, an event featuring Israeli Ambassador Danny Danon was disrupted seven times by student protesters, who loudly chanted anti-Israel slogans, including support for BDS, and blocked the entrance to the auditorium, physically preventing people from entering and intimidating those who were able to enter.
  • At the University of Maryland, Students for Justice in Palestine, the Muslim Political Alliance and other student organizations carried out a boycott protest of the Jewish Student Union-sponsored event “IsraelFest,” at which they asked people “to turn away from the festival [IsraelFest] and not participate in any of the festivities.”
  • At the University of Texas Austin, Jewish students attempting to table to raise funds for an Israeli non-profit called “Save a Child’s Heart” were impeded when two other student groups moved their tables to flank them, began yelling, chanting and waving a flag over the Jewish students’ heads, and drowned out their calls for donations. When the Jewish students relocated to another part of the campus square, the disruptors followed them and continued to impede their efforts for two days.
54 of Israel-related incidents (76%) personally targeted pro-Israel individuals or groups for ostracizing and/or exclusion. For example:

• At Pomona College, an SJP member posted a photo on Snapchat and Twitter of the Claremont Progressive Jewish Alliance student president with the caption ‘Her name is Kate ______ and she is a proud racist.’ The post was favorited and retweeted by SJP members.
  • At St. Olaf College, Oles for Justice in Palestine created a petition asking the College to remove an alumnus from the Advisory Board of the Institute for Freedom and Community at St. Olaf College, claiming, “Arne Christenson is a key member of the Apartheid lobby and an outspoken Christian Zionist. He ought to have no position at any institute for “freedom” or “community” and certainly no position at St. Olaf.”
  • At Tufts University, a widely shared student activist-created handbook entitled “Tufts University Disorientation Guide” described Hillel as “an organization that supports a white supremacist state” that “exploit black voices for their own pro-Israel agenda.” The handbook was posted by students on two official Class Facebook pages.

These incidents of ostracizing and excluding pro-Israel Jews have been successful and have been on the rise over the past few years in comparison to merely suppressing speech.

[hr][/hr]
The article is a long read, but worth it. Trying to capture its essence is not possible in a few sentences. The upshot is that Jews are being targeted for harassment on account of supporting Israel.

Dec 2006
required field
The upshot is that Jews are being targeted for harassment on account of supporting Israel.
That is sort of a weird upshot, isn't it? I think I know what you mean. Targeted for political views rather than because of heritage, religion, or some other twisted notion. But it still seems at heart based in good ol' fashioned anti-semitism. I basically disagree with almost everything Israel does, but I don't hold that against any Jewish or Israeli people. That's just dumb. They have no more say in what Israel does than I have in what America does. I understand the sentiment of wanting to hold Israel accountable for the things they do (whether or not anyone agrees that they have anything to be accountable for), but what they're doing (the people doing the harassing) is still hateful and wrong.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
This is awful. I am so glad I do not have to put up with this crap in the colleges I work. It disruptive to learning for everyone. The Profs there must hate dealing with this type of publicity from hate. Chairs of the individual programs of study should be able to dismiss students who participate in groups like the OP. Who or what college wants to put their stamp on students doing vile crap like painting Jewish hate propaganda on campus.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
New AMCHA Report: A Paradigm Shift In How To Address And Put An End To Harassment Of Jews On Campus

The ADL has also come out with a report, Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents: Year in Review 2017, which examines not just campus antisemitism, but also threats against K-12 schools, attacks on Jewish cemeteries and bomb threats.

[C]ounting incidences of antisemitism on campus is not enough. A small swastika drawn in a bathroom stall creates a different emotional impact on a student than the same swastika when it is etched into that same Jewish student’s dorm room door. The former is an expression of an offensive opinion, while the latter implies a desire to harass and intimidate.

31 of Israel-related incidents (44%) were intended to impede or silence pro-Israel expression. For example:

• At Columbia University, an event featuring Israeli Ambassador Danny Danon was disrupted seven times by student protesters, who loudly chanted anti-Israel slogans, including support for BDS, and blocked the entrance to the auditorium, physically preventing people from entering and intimidating those who were able to enter.
  • At the University of Maryland, Students for Justice in Palestine, the Muslim Political Alliance and other student organizations carried out a boycott protest of the Jewish Student Union-sponsored event “IsraelFest,” at which they asked people “to turn away from the festival [IsraelFest] and not participate in any of the festivities.”
  • At the University of Texas Austin, Jewish students attempting to table to raise funds for an Israeli non-profit called “Save a Child’s Heart” were impeded when two other student groups moved their tables to flank them, began yelling, chanting and waving a flag over the Jewish students’ heads, and drowned out their calls for donations. When the Jewish students relocated to another part of the campus square, the disruptors followed them and continued to impede their efforts for two days.
54 of Israel-related incidents (76%) personally targeted pro-Israel individuals or groups for ostracizing and/or exclusion. For example:

• At Pomona College, an SJP member posted a photo on Snapchat and Twitter of the Claremont Progressive Jewish Alliance student president with the caption ‘Her name is Kate ______ and she is a proud racist.’ The post was favorited and retweeted by SJP members.
  • At St. Olaf College, Oles for Justice in Palestine created a petition asking the College to remove an alumnus from the Advisory Board of the Institute for Freedom and Community at St. Olaf College, claiming, “Arne Christenson is a key member of the Apartheid lobby and an outspoken Christian Zionist. He ought to have no position at any institute for “freedom” or “community” and certainly no position at St. Olaf.”
  • At Tufts University, a widely shared student activist-created handbook entitled “Tufts University Disorientation Guide” described Hillel as “an organization that supports a white supremacist state” that “exploit black voices for their own pro-Israel agenda.” The handbook was posted by students on two official Class Facebook pages.

These incidents of ostracizing and excluding pro-Israel Jews have been successful and have been on the rise over the past few years in comparison to merely suppressing speech.

[hr][/hr]
The article is a long read, but worth it. Trying to capture its essence is not possible in a few sentences. The upshot is that Jews are being targeted for harassment on account of supporting Israel.

I had to debate people about Russia's war with Georgia, at my Canadian college, in 2008, when I was just starting there.

I did so, successfully. Didn't claim "harassment" over it lol

I guess I have a thicker skin than some here...

Man, I am tired of this shit. I actually like you. But this crap makes me respect you less...

Criticism of a country =/= some bigotry against a people, for the last fucking time.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I had to debate people about Russia's war with Georgia, at my Canadian college, in 2008, when I was just starting there.

It has nothing to do with "thick skin" or "debate." Debate is being shut down.

Man, I am tired of this shit. I actually like you. But this crap makes me respect you less...

Criticism of a country =/= some bigotry against a people, for the last fucking time.
There is far more than mere criticism going on here. Harassment is not criticism, it is just assholery.

Dec 2006
required field

Ian provided a couple links. One is a PDF and more graphical in nature, pretty easy to digest. The other one Ian provided a few quotes from, but I imagine he was trying to be careful about his biases and he didn't just pick out all the good ones. Here's a couple you may have missed:

First of all, counting incidences of antisemitism on campus is not enough. A small swastika drawn in a bathroom stall creates a different emotional impact on a student than the same swastika when it is etched into that same Jewish student’s dorm room door. The former is an expression of an offensive opinion, while the latter implies a desire to harass and intimidate.
It's too easy to skim over that paragraph. Reread it at least once. I had to do it two or three times before I caught the significance. It's subtle.

According to Rossman-Benjamin, it is important to be able to distinguish the intentionality behind the attacks. Antisemitic attacks were not necessarily directed at a particular Jewish student on campus, but anti-Zionist incidents were virtually all directed particularly at Jewish students. It was those anti-Zionist attacks that were more likely to affect the campus climate.

While there were more antisemitic incidents (205) than Israel-related ones (71), far more of the Israel-related incidents (67 / 94% vs 48 / 23%) showed an intent to harm Jewish students and contributed more towards creating a hostile environment.
He has some very good points. Regardless of how you feel about Israel, the kinds of incidents this report describes cannot be based in anything other than anti-semitism. You don't even have to read that much of it, you just have to pick up the thread.

And it's hella easy to hide one's anti-semitism, all they have to do is frame it as concern for the well-being of someone else, and score some social justice points along the way.

Now in case I haven't been clear enough, I really hate what Israel does regarding the West Bank and issues surrounding the Palestinian people.

But on the other paw... I don't know nearly enough about the history of the Jewish people nor the history of the State of Israel and how it came about and how it protects itself, to make anything other than strongly worded, undoubtedly ill-informed opinions.

Regardless of all that, read the report a little. It's bad out there. 45 has emboldened all the wrong sorts of people, and the longer he stays in power without consequences, the worse it's likely to get before it starts getting better.

Dec 2006
required field
And just to put my own biases out in the open, on any issue where I'm uncertain, or being asked to choose which group to give my loyalty to with all other things being equal, I will side with the Jewish people every time. It's not a Zionist thing. Not even close. It's not even particularly religious. It's much more complicated than that. It would take me volumes of writing to even begin to explain why, and then of course I'd probably read it all and it wouldn't make sense even to me.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I admit I missed the part about the swastikas.

I don't know... I am always conflicted on these sorts of issues... At this same college, for example, I had a very heated incident with a Turkish guy who was trying to deny the Armenian Genocide. I am half Armenian, you know, on mother's side...

We damn nearly came to blows over it, to the point that the prof and another guy actually came over and stood between us, just in case haha

But, the funny thing? Later on, me and that dude became... Well, friends would be a stretch. But, we gained some kind of respect for each other, and actually got along very well for rest that term together. Even though, I think, we both stuck to our positions on the Genocide.

I could have accused him of bigotry and God knows what. I chose my own route instead: get in his face, yell back at him and... break his pen :D SOB finally insulted my Armenian mom, and I just took his pen from his desk and broke it in half right in front of his face. Dude got so scared, he actually shrunk back from me, I think he thought I'd stab him with the sharp shards of the pen ;)

Shut him up nicely, that did. That's when the prof kicked us both out of the class for the day. And actually avoided teaching about Armenian Genocide when both of us were in class since then (it was a History class)...

Anyhow, point is... I believe the best way to deal with bigotry and crap like this is to face it head on, not hide from it. If these Jewish students think others are being anti-Semitic at them, go out and confront those people.

I get there can be some special circumstances. Like, you are alone as a Jew, on a campus full of anti-Semites.

Though, I have a hard time imagining such a campus anywhere around here...