How To Find Reliable Information On Latin American Refugees

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I wanted to know more about these people, but everywhere I looked among the major English speaking news media outlets, I was unsure I should trust their objectivity, or that anyone else on PH would.

So I Googled and I found two sources that MAYBE we can agree will have no temptation to try to distort the facts.

The first is the Washington Office on Latin America, as described here:

Since WOLA’s founding in 1974, both the human rights community and the community of nongovernmental organizations working on Latin American issues have grown and evolved. WOLA has had to rethink its position within these overlapping sectors and determine the best contribution it can bring to their collective work. Within the international human rights community, WOLA is respected for its expertise on U.S. foreign policy and its ability to use policy levers to advance human rights protections. Within the broad coalition of progressive church groups and NGOs, WOLA provides policy-based research and analysis and a deep knowledge of Latin America and the Caribbean, serving as a liaison or interlocutor with key actors in the region. WOLA’s story is also the story of persistent and concerted efforts by a broad advocacy community working for social justice in Latin America. While the organization and its partner organizations can claim many short-term achievements, it remains dedicated to long-term efforts — seeking political openings for change, and, when no such openings exist, working to create the political environment in which change can eventually occur. In this way WOLA strives to create a new political reality that will allow for a more humane and just U.S. policy toward Latin America and the Caribbean in the decades to come.
PDF on WOLA's History & Mission

The second is the UN Refugee Agency:

The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband.
Today, over 68 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.

So, one Christian faith based organization and one UN organization, both with long histories of commitment and service to the region.

Are we agreed, these are reliable reporters?

If so, maybe we can also find out who the caravaners are, why they left home and what happened to them in Mexico, so we can decide, CALMLY, how best the US could respond to them.

Also agreed? If so, please see my thread up in "Current Events" Titled "Who, What, Where, When, Why and How".

If not, please add the reasons you do not trust these organizations and which other source of data and news you think we should agree to use.

Thanks, you lovely PHers!

The Guardian: Can You Trust The Mainstream Media

The Guardian: Conservative News Sources American Liberals Should Be Reading

NPR: How To Fact Check The News & Get The Real Facts

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Everyone has to overcome certain barriers to ascertaining the actual facts, no matter who you are.

WashPo: Why Dumb Internet Hoaxes Work

However, 7,000+ people massing at the southern US border will soon become a cholera outbreak (or some other dread infectious disease) as well as a violent mob and a humanitarian tragedy of epic proportions.

We ALL need to try to find out the ACTUAL facts so we can advocate for what we believe are best practices by Mexico, the US and Canada. Right now, American media cannot even agree as to WHERE these humans are today.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
ref·u·gee
/ˌrefyo͝oˈjē/
noun

1. a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.
Hmm .....

The title seems to be a bit misleading.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
1. Invaders are soldiers who are invading a country. The city was destroyed by foreign invaders.

2. countable noun. You can refer to a country or army that has invaded or is about to invade another country as an invader.

I think foreign invaders would be more accurate.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
ref·u·gee
/ˌrefyo͝oˈjē/
noun

1. a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.
Hmm .....

The title seems to be a bit misleading.
Fair enough. Shall we call them "The Walking (Almost) Dead"?

These people are not on vacation, Daddio.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
1. Invaders are soldiers who are invading a country. The city was destroyed by foreign invaders.

2. countable noun. You can refer to a country or army that has invaded or is about to invade another country as an invader.

I think foreign invaders would be more accurate.
Jesus Fucking Christ, @John T Ford! You really hate these people!

You already LIVE in Texas, amirite? So go get a box of grenades and blow up a few hundred families, if you are jonesing so badly to see them mass murdered.

Or, stop doing your Tough Guy routine and help figure out what is the best, most humane response.

[That was a sarcastic comment, not a real suggestion. Bombing defenseless people standing in Mexico would be wrong as mass murder and would be an act of war.]

Do you agree they will remain in a group near the Mexican-U.S. border if no govrrnment intervenes? And that by doing so, they will soon start dying from cholera, etc.?

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Invaders was the term the Bomber used. It's racist non-sense.

The likely most reliable sources on this would be non-American ones. Foreign media has no parochial axe to grind.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Invaders was the term the Bomber used. It's racist non-sense.

The likely most reliable sources on this would be non-American ones. Foreign media has no parochial axe to grind.
Uh....doesn't Rupert Murdock own media outlets all over the world?

I know whaca mean, though. I trust BBC America more than I trust PBS Newshour.