How to Reduce Income Inequality

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
And you think it would go in exactly the opposite direction in practice?
Yes. I think the last few millions a billionaire receives as income, if paid as tax, will have absolutely no discernable effect on the economic growth in this country.

The amount is too small.

Furthermore, if used to fund UHC, the 99% will have much more excess income to invest. That could quite easily surpass the growth the billionaire would have generated if he clung on to the revenues at issue.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
I've stated my position quite succinctly, and accept that we disagree on a number of principles. It's silly to keep going back and forth like this, so I'll bow out and let my previous posts speak for themselves. Once you jumped the shark by contending "your entire existence, down to the air you breath -- is a benefit of the social contract", I realized there is no reasoning with you. All good. Best of luck in 2020.

PS. What country do you live in? I didn't know you were not in the US and your info says "irrelevant" under location.
Sorry but that is what it means when the state 'exercises sovereign power over its territory'. Insults aside, I enjoyed this conversation.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Yes. I think the last few millions a billionaire receives as income, if paid as tax, will have absolutely no discernable effect on the economic growth in this country.

The amount is too small.

So, why tax it further if there is no discernible effect?

Furthermore, if used to fund UHC, the 99% will have much more excess income to invest. That could quite easily surpass the growth the billionaire would have generated if he clung on to the revenues at issue.
You mean universal health care?

I think that's the thing I have a huge problem with. If someone cannot be bothered to 'invest' in his own well-being, what makes you think he will 'invest' in the community's well-being? In the meantime, you have taken that money away from the people who have been successfully using that money to further themselves and the economy. I think this robinhood philosophy had been tried and failed.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You mean universal health care?

I think that's the thing I have a huge problem with. If someone cannot be bothered to 'invest' in his own well-being, what makes you think he will 'invest' in the community's well-being? In the meantime, you have taken that money away from the people who have been successfully using that money to further themselves and the economy. I think this robinhood philosophy had been tried and failed.
It has been tried and succeeded in every other industrialized nation on earth.

Almost all of whom have better health than Americans do.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
It has been tried and succeeded in every other industrialized nation on earth.

Almost all of whom have better health than Americans do.
Sorry but what you are proposing is a welfare-state economic model fashioned post ww2. And yes, it succeeded -- for a while. We already know it is unsustainable in our present global economy.

What actually works now is what I was saying all along -- that the bottom 90% has to participate in wealth creation in a meaningful way. An example of this is that the workers themselves have a stake in the enterprise they work for. This is not an overnight solution and it takes hard work. But then, what sustainable solution isn't?

Apr 2018
oregon
Sorry but that is what it means when the state 'exercises sovereign power over its territory'. Insults aside, I enjoyed this conversation.
Me, too.
PS. I do not owe my existence nor the air I breathe to some fictitious social contract. Never have, never will. :)

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Me, too.
PS. I do not owe my existence nor the air I breathe to some fictitious social contract. Never have, never will. :)
Good for you.

I'm just reminding you of what sovereign power means. Just stay away from the business end of such power, and you're free to believe what you want to believe.