How to Reduce Income Inequality

Jan 2007
Income inequality is an extreme concentration of wealth or income in the hands of a small percentage of a population. It has been described as the gap between the richest and the rest.

The U.S. has the highest level of income inequality of any industrialized nation, according to Inequality.org.

Extreme, growing income (and wealth) distribution is bad for America because, beyond a point (which economists can measure and which the U.S. passed in the 1980's), income inequality SLOWS economic growth.

It is also unjust, if that matters to you.

How has income inequality affected the U.S. in the past?

Bring in endless poverty, make 95% of America poor. The commissars at the top will live just fine.

Reactions: orangecat
Jan 2007
This problem is here, now. It is not driven by immigration.
True equality is communism (in theory) but that is a no go. Except for Warren & Sanders. Competition should drive the value of labor. Poor performance deserves to be unequal to excellent performance. Don't like rich people , don't use their product or service. Gates , Bezos, Waltons are rich because you made them rich.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
True equality is communism (in theory) but that is a no go.
Income inequality measures the TOTAL of the GROUP of the 1% or the 10% against the rest of us as a TOTAL. It has nothing whatever to do with any individual's income.

SOME income inequality is vital to capitalism, but we have almost TWICE what we should. Twice what we had when this country's middle class was prosperous and expanding, after WW2.

Except for Warren & Sanders.

Competition should drive the value of labor. Poor performance deserves to be unequal to excellent performance.
Teachers, lawyers, nurses, etc. today are not performing poorly. They can't command a living wage because (among other reasons) they are shouldering too much of the country's tax burden. Taxes the the rich paid after WW2, and that they should pay again.

Don't like rich people , don't use their product or service. Gates , Bezos, Waltons are rich because you made them rich.
I don't care about them. I care about you and I.

Jan 2007
Income inequality measures the TOTAL of the GROUP of the 1% or the 10% against the rest of us as a TOTAL. It has nothing whatever to do with any individual's income.

SOME income inequality is vital to capitalism, but we have almost TWICE what we should. Twice what we had when this country's middle class was prosperous and expanding, after WW2.

Teachers, lawyers, nurses, etc. today are not performing poorly. They can't command a living wage because (among other reasons) they are shouldering too much of the country's tax burden. Taxes the the rich paid after WW2, and that they should pay again.

I don't care about them. I care about you and I.
I'm fine. My tax bracket is 12% You think Warren will lower it? Not a chance. There is always going to be a richest, 1 percenter. Warren and Sanders look immensely rich to most of the world. Should their wealth be equalized?

Jan 2007
25% if she is elected. Then it will go up when all the "Rich" move out or retire.
She will chase wealth, investment, productivity away. Now she is struggling to to make sense of her foolish policy objectives. They are a fiscal trainwreck.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm fine. My tax bracket is 12% You think Warren will lower it? Not a chance. There is always going to be a richest, 1 percenter. Warren and Sanders look immensely rich to most of the world. Should their wealth be equalized?
1%'ers' Wealth About to Surpass 99%ers'

@THOR.. even if you are okay now, you will not be in future if income (and wealth) inequality continues to grow. Your children and grandchildren are very likely to fall into poverty in the near future and never recover.

You would not want to live in the U.S. after the middle class collapses. It'll be like the Great Depression. Like Chile, Boliva, Peru, etc.

Like Mexico.

This is a conversation about how to stave off that horrible cataclysm. It is not about trying to persuade you to vote for Sanders in 2020.

Republicans can also address fiscal emergencies, though we can see they usually do not even attempt to protect the 99%. Likewise, some Democrats present an even graver threat to the 99% than most Republicans.

This thread is about which policies will improve our shared future. Finding candidates to elect to carry out those policies is a separate convo.

I don't have grandchildren, Daddio. My kid is married into a family of very wealthy people. I don't fight for my own personal future well-being.

I fight for yours, and every other 99%-er's.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
25% if she is elected. Then it will go up when all the "Rich" move out or retire.
TBH, I haven't looked at Warren's proposal as to how to fund UHC. I hope to, soon.

But: government spending is NOT the subject of this thread. At all.

I would love it if we could agree to stay on topic.