"How we are manipulated by media and politicians"- A discussion on a users great post.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Flame Bait
Do not post with intentions of inciting a response that would violate these community guidelines, to include demeaning nicknames. We kindly ask the community to simply refer to one another by their usernames.
uh huh, mr. "fuck you."

Well, this could obviously go on all night.

I guess the question is, would this exchange make an outside observer think Russiagaters are level-headed arbiters of truth, and that this game of brinksmanship with a rival nuclear power is in cool, capable hands and is in no danger whatever of reckless escalation?

Or . . . not?

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
uh huh, mr. "fuck you."

Well, this could obviously go on all night.

I guess the question is, would this exchange make an outside observer think Russiagaters are level-headed arbiters of truth, and that this game of brinksmanship with a rival nuclear power is in cool, capable hands and is in no danger whatever of reckless escalation?

Or . . . not?
bye dumbass!

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
and this @highway234 and @Puzzling Evidence is why we don't have nice things..... we bicker and argue with each other yet the mindless right and left wing hacks have their tribalism while we all fight within out tribe..... I guess that's the nature of being true to ourselves while the partisans look for the confirmation bias.

I tried, ringo, I tried REAL hard to be the shepherd.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Read "The Smear". It explores the origins, development and deployment of fake news.

The scariest part of it is the political propaganda industry, a highly paid and powerful message massaging, narrative creating, news destroying, character assassinating monstrosity.

The Smear: How the Secret Art of Character Assassination Controls What You Think, What You Read, and How You Vote by Sharyl Attkisson
OMG! The topic!

I'd not heard this book but I was just able to put it on hold at the commie public library.

Daniel Boorstin's "The Image" is a great starting point for reading about the visual media and their unique power in influencing opinion and perception. Television's ability to influenc ewas more obvious to people when the TV was stilla relatively new technology, and The Image was written in, i think, 1960.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
and this @highway234 and @Puzzling Evidence is why we don't have nice things..... we bicker and argue with each other yet the mindless right and left wing hacks have their tribalism while we all fight within out tribe..... I guess that's the nature of being true to ourselves while the partisans look for the confirmation bias.

it's like when i was a boxer - some people you like, some you don't like. in spite of what people think, you don't always drink beers and hug afterwards.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?

I'm sure I'm really missing out that I wasn't able to get off on the right foot with that guy. Very sad.