How Would You Stop A Mass Shooter?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I'm not sure if many people have heard about this but many are talking about it.

Heavily Armed Gunman Shot Dead Outside Federal Courthouse In Dallas

Law enforcement in Dallas on Monday shot and killed a masked gunman carrying a military-style rifle and 150 rounds of ammunition. Authorities later identified the man as 22-year-old Army veteran Brian Isaack Clyde of Fort Worth.

No one else was seriously hurt in the shootout, which took place outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building and Courthouse around 8:40 a.m. ET. However, some glass panes on the building were shattered.
We can talk about this incident if we'd like, feel free.

But I ask, based on what you know today about our history of mass shootings, what would be your plan to stop one from happening. Prevent, stop, whatever your take. I'd like to hear it.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Depends on the situation. If my family was also there, I'd hide them away first, or even get them out of the building/area, if possible.

Call 9/11 also, as Spookycolt already said, though, I'm sure lots of other people there would also be doing that already anyway.

After that, circle around, I guess, try to sneak up on him from behind. There are various spots on the human body, sensitive pressure points and such, sudden hard strike there can immobilise, disorient, and disable the attacker, at least long enough to knock or wrest the weapon from his hands.

In theory, anyhow. Truthfully, I would not want to actually have to attempt that in practice...

Apr 2019
Southeast
Depends on the situation. If my family was also there, I'd hide them away first, or even get them out of the building/area, if possible.

Call 9/11 also, as Spookycolt already said, though, I'm sure lots of other people there would also be doing that already anyway.

After that, circle around, I guess, try to sneak up on him from behind. There are various spots on the human body, sensitive pressure points and such, sudden hard strike there can immobilise, disorient, and disable the attacker, at least long enough to knock or wrest the weapon from his hands.

In theory, anyhow. Truthfully, I would not want to actually have to attempt that in practice...
That would be much easier with a gun of your own.

Sep 2012
SoCal
May 2012
By the wall

These situations are just mass chaos and unless you are extremely practiced in them its just going to be confusion everywhere.

I've never been in that situation so I have no idea what I would do.

Its probably very different from being in a firefight with an enemy because you aren't expecting this to happen where you are and haven't mentally prepared for it.

I imagine most people that go through it experience shock right away, then panic.

Then fight or flight kicks in which is where you see people either running or trying to tackle the gunman.

At least the cops rushing in know what's happening and are mentally prepared for it but when you are just sitting or walking somewhere and this shit happens right next to you that is a completely different story.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Is this that cowardly deputy in Broward county that actually did that as 17 kids died? He was told to stand down by the Democrat Sheriff who our new R Governer canned.
And he told other law enforcement to stand down, preventing EMT from providing first aid to injured kids. Luckily, Coral Springs Police were real cops and ran past the cowering sheriffs to secure the building.

Apr 2019
Southeast
And he told other law enforcement to stand down, preventing EMT from providing first aid to injured kids. Luckily, Coral Springs Police were real cops and ran past the cowering sheriffs to secure the building.
And it was a policy from the Obama admin that dropped the ball here. This kid had multiple red flags of criminallity. But in order to pad the numbers they were directed to ignore juvenile crimes, to make it look like crime was decreasing.