Howdy Hotwire!

M

modcon

#1
Hey guys, I am new here. In case you couldn't figure out the name, I am a moderate conservative from the only liberal city in Texas that isn't located along the border. There are a lot of misconceptions about Austin and its Austinites, so let me answer a few questions for those of you that may have been curious.

1) No, I don't want to "keep Austin weird". For starters, Austin isn't particularly weird to begin with. It's just a little dot in the middle of Texas that does its best to mimic California (smoking bans, assinine environmental regulations, etc.). Thus, I am not active in a campaign to maintain an imaginary level of "weirdness".

2) Yes, there is an abundance of local music here in Austin. Unfortunately, 99% of it is the same new wave, pseudo-rock that you would hear anywhere else in America.

3) Yes, there is really a man that strolls through downtown in a thong. Yes, 8% of us voted to elect him mayor. The other 92% of us have grown up a little since middle school.

So no, I am not a self-described weirdo that likes crappy music and votes for riddiculously abscure candidates just for the hell of it.

I look forward to meeting you all. :D
 
F

Fishmint

#4
2) Yes, there is an abundance of local music here in Austin. Unfortunately, 99% of it is the same new wave, pseudo-rock that you would hear anywhere else in America.
Theres some of that, but theres plenty of great music thats not "pseudo-rock." ACL fest is great no?

3) Yes, there is really a man that strolls through downtown in a thong. Yes, 8% of us voted to elect him mayor. The other 92% of us have grown up a little since middle school.
Sounds like somone needs a better sense of humor...;)

1) No, I don't want to "keep Austin weird". For starters, Austin isn't particularly weird to begin with. It's just a little dot in the middle of Texas that does its best to mimic California (smoking bans, assinine environmental regulations, etc.). Thus, I am not active in a campaign to maintain an imaginary level of "weirdness".
Well, the whole slogan is in support of small buisnesses. The slogan refers to the numerous amount of small businesses in Austin, and those businesses that give Austin its unique cultural identity. Its trying to prevent a rapid increase of major corporations, which would create a large city vibe and make the city of Austin "normal". Its about maintaining our cities unique identity... it seems you are offended by it.:confused:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]f the way Austin is going makes you mad, don't get even. Get odd." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Dr. George Greer[/FONT]

In any case, welcome to PH.
 
Similar Discussions Forum Date
New Users
New Users
New Users
New Users

Similar Discussions