HuffPo open records RQ results in "plausible" rating on Ben's "gun in ribs" tale

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Well good, undoubtedly we'll have more RW politicians with 30 year old tales of bravado and heroism in the face of mayhem hit the presses! ;-)

The police department’s limited ability to search records from decades ago makes confirmation of the incident difficult. But judging by the sheer number of alleged incidents at the Baltimore location Carson described, his story is entirely plausible.​
Baltimore Police: We Don't Have Enough Info To Find Ben Carson's Popeyes Holdup

Last edited:
Jun 2013
VA
Thing is....if a guy held a gun on me?

I THINK I could remember which Popeye's it was...and atleast the YEAR it happened. Be generous and say within 2 years. (1993-1994....1998-1999)

Carson can't remember any of the details except "what I said to him" and that it was a Popeye's.

Reactions: 1 person
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Thing is....if a guy held a gun on me?

I THINK I could remember which Popeye's it was...and atleast the YEAR it happened. Be generous and say within 2 years. (1993-1994....1998-1999)

Carson can't remember any of the details except "what I said to him" and that it was a Popeye's.
Actually, we're gonna have to give him a pass.. he came up with a location.

The holdup took place between 1980 and 1983 on the corner of Broadway and Orleans Street, Carson told HuffPost at the National Press Club last week. “It was a Saturday night and we were getting some french fries,” he said.

Carson has said that he did not personally file a police report, but he believes a Popeyes employee did. It's possible that Carson's name would not have been included in such a report, which would also make it difficult to find.

There is a Popeyes at 300 N Broadway in Baltimore that fits the description of the location Carson described. Between January 2000 and August 2015, the Baltimore Police Department reported over 50 alleged "incidents" at that address, including unfounded incidents and multiple allegations of assault and burglary. The police also searched 300 S Broadway as part of the records request.

Apr 2011
Under your skin
[video=youtube;5Cnpndy73ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cnpndy73ug[/video]

Early Chris Rock comedy

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Love Chris Rock, but what did that have to do with the OP?

C'mon merid .. givin' you a semi-win here.

No gonna gloat? ;-)

Jul 2014
Border Fence
I'm like the Baltimore Police Department...I don't have time to go chasing 30 year old fried chicken stories.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Well good, undoubtedly we'll have more RW politicians with 30 year old tales of bravado and heroism in the face of mayhem hit the presses! ;-)

The police department’s limited ability to search records from decades ago makes confirmation of the incident difficult. But judging by the sheer number of alleged incidents at the Baltimore location Carson described, his story is entirely plausible.​
Baltimore Police: We Don't Have Enough Info To Find Ben Carson's Popeyes Holdup
I hope he paid more attention to ' On Old Olympus' Towering Top A Fin And German Viewed Some Hops', while in medical school than unimportant details such as thwarting his own murder