Huge News! Civil Rights 1- Voter Suppression 0

Sep 2012
SoCal
Keep the good news coming...

Huge News! Civil Rights 1- Voter Suppression 0
There was a very significant federal court decision in Tennessee this week. It’s been a bit drowned out by other news, but this ruling has the potential to have a huge and wide-reaching effect on Republican attempts at voter suppression -at least through one (very effective, from their point of view) avenue.

The case was about the state confiscating driver’s licenses of people who had been unable to pay court costs when appearing for various misdemeanors. Losing their licenses severely impacted their ability to find or keep employment which would have enabled them to pay later. In some cases, desperate people would drive even without a license in order to work, and when caught driving without a license would then face further court costs in a terrible cycle which seemed almost designed to keep people indigent (and also disenfranchised).

[…]

And this good news gets better! The judge’s ruling is deemed so well-reasoned and constitutionally supported that it is hoped by civil rights lawyers that it will have an influence on similar cases in other states (NC, for starters) but even better, it is hoped that this ruling will help to inform the proceedings in a related case, which has impacted even more potential voters:

[…]

Look at those numbers! Hundreds of thousands of people have been deprived of their only “valid” photo ID (and thus their ability to vote), in Tennessee alone. Imagine what the numbers could be nationwide! Civil rights lawyers and righteous judges are working hard on the behalf of ordinary Americans and other cases are already working their way through the courts, in spite of the unsurprising, unceasing efforts of Republicans to block and delay them. Keep an eye on this story (next up, NC) because this is a big deal.

...MORE...

Reactions: 3 people
Jun 2014
United States
I'd be ashamed to support a political party that goes out of their way to make it difficult for Americans to vote simply because they believe that they can gain a partisan advantage by doing so.

If I was a Republican voter, I think I'd feel the need for a long, hot shower right about now.

Reactions: 6 people
Dec 2014
The Milky Way
The case was about the state courts taking the DL's from people for failure to pay court costs. They could still obtain non DL ID's for voting purposes, etc. So voter suppression is a non issue.

I expect a reversal on appeal, though taking the DL's in many of those cases is probably overkill. I keep forgetting, are DL's s a state issue or a federal one? Seems the federal courts keep bouncing around on that issue.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The case was about the state courts taking the DL's from people for failure to pay court costs. They could still obtain non DL ID's for voting purposes, etc. So voter suppression is a non issue.

I expect a reversal on appeal, though taking the DL's in many of those cases is probably overkill. I keep forgetting, are DL's s a state issue or a federal one? Seems the federal courts keep bouncing around on that issue.
ANY new impediment to voting impacts voting rights, ex. If a state closed all but one polling station in every county, this would likely offend the Voting Rights Act.

Reactions: 1 person

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
As I understand it, even if someone's driver's license is suspended, the card can still be used for identification purposes notwithstanding its invalidity as a DL. This might vary from state to state, though.

Jun 2014
United States
As I understand it, even if someone's driver's license is suspended, the card can still be used for identification purposes notwithstanding its invalidity as a DL. This might vary from state to state, though.

The fact that it does vary from state to state, in national elections, is a problem IMHO. We deserve to have federal standards for federal elections.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Read the OP article again, [MENTION=23697]Ian Jeffrey[/MENTION]. Not "suspending" licenses, CONFISCATING licenses. Can't be used as ID if one does not possess it.

The case was about the state confiscating driver’s licenses of people who had been unable to pay court costs when appearing for various misdemeanors.

Jul 2011
Tennessee