Huge News! Civil Rights 1- Voter Suppression 0

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I'd be ashamed to support a political party that goes out of their way to make it difficult for Americans to vote simply because they believe that they can gain a partisan advantage by doing so.

If I was a Republican voter, I think I'd feel the need for a long, hot shower right about now.
Not sure a shower would make you feel clean, Night!

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
As I understand it, even if someone's driver's license is suspended, the card can still be used for identification purposes notwithstanding its invalidity as a DL. This might vary from state to state, though.
Confiscated, not suspended!

New law in Ohio. You apply for your license, do not get it for 10 days, but you do get a temporary. Having tried to get my car license through the mail, not getting it,I wonder how this will work.

Jon Husted again. The guy that filed one law suit after another, trying to disenfranchise voters. Lost them all except this last one.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
The case was about the state courts taking the DL's from people for failure to pay court costs. They could still obtain non DL ID's for voting purposes, etc. So voter suppression is a non issue.

I expect a reversal on appeal, though taking the DL's in many of those cases is probably overkill. I keep forgetting, are DL's s a state issue or a federal one? Seems the federal courts keep bouncing around on that issue.
Voter suppression was not the first goal but it is a consequence of disenfranchising the poor by getting them in to judicial system by fines and court costs that have poor people and people of color paying to fund city services in fines.

We saw this in Ferguson and other communities where law enforcement targets aggressively poor youth and people of color with fines and charges which gets them into the judicial system.

Some fines totaled into the thousands for youth.

This is not about having a DL to vote, this about putting youth, the poor, and people of color into a position that so limits their ability to participate in the process has effectively been blocked.

Last edited:
Jul 2011
Tennessee
Voter suppression was not the first goal but it is a consequence of disenfranchising the poor by getting them in to judicial system by fines and court costs that have poor people and people of color paying to fund city services in fines.

We saw this in Ferguson and other communities where law enforcement targets aggressively poor youth and people of color with fines and charges which gets them into the judicial system.

Some fines totaled into the thousands for youth.

This is not about having a DL to vote, this about putting youth, the poor, and people of color into a position that so limits their ability to participate in the process has effectively been blocked.
Daily Kos lied and you bought it.