Humans who live in warm/temporate climates have it to easy to need to progress much.

Jun 2007
Wisconsin
Music City is in Nashville, Music is Art.
Blues, Ragtime, Rock and Roll, all originated in the South.
Faulkner on of the greatest writers is from the south. Literature is an art.

I guess, Creation is in the eye or ear of the beholder
Yep, and Bob Dylan, the greatest song writer of our time grew up in Northern Minnesota.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Music City is in Nashville, Music is Art.
Blues, Ragtime, Rock and Roll, all originated in the South.
Faulkner on of the greatest writers is from the south. Literature is an art.

I guess, Creation is in the eye or ear of the beholder
Hate to tell you Tennessee, but you're not the climate the OP is talking about.

Jul 2015
Florida
This came up in a poli sci class of mine. Back in the 90s.

It was a trick question because it was the Romans who first suggested it - but the opposite way.

That all civilization started in hot climates, dessert flood plains - while the further north or south you got the more barbaric things became.
Can be spun BOTH ways. But then you have to factor in INVENTIONS at each juncture. Air conditioning is less than 100 years old, will it 'expedite' lQs in 3 1/2 generations? I doubt it.
Back as we were facing the new millenium and the 21st century people were identifying the 5 GREATEST inventions of the 20th century, I missed one. AIR CONDITIONING. I live in FLORIDA and missed that.

Nov 2014
TN
Sigh. Dude, you are one of the most CONSISTENTLY ignorant posters here on PH. The Pacific Northwest is where you will find the largest temperate rainforest in the United States:

Temperate rainforest - Wikipedia

Sigh. Dude, you are one of the most CONSISTENTLY ignorant posters here on PH. The Pacific Northwest is where you will find the largest temperate rainforest in the United States:

Temperate rainforest - Wikipedia
Pacific northwest is not the largest, Sorry but the the Midatlatic Rainforest runs from Vermont to Eastern Central GA . Green, Pocnos, Blue Ridge and Smokey mountains.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Necessity is the mother of invention.
This will no doubt surprise you very much, but technological historians take grave exception to that commonplace aphorism, and indeed often rephrase it thusly:

Invention is the mother of necessity.

Consider, as one example, the automobile. When the automobile was invented, before it could become widely adopted, a whole HOST of subsidiary industries had to spring up: a tire industry, for instance. You needed gas stations, all over the place. You needed roads, suitable for automobiles. You needed auto mechanics, who could repair broken down automobiles. Before long, you needed an industry to manufacture windshields.

Just because a need exists does NOT mean an invention is going to spring up to satisfy it. China suffered TERRIBLE famines during the 17th through the 19th centuries; they NEEDED a lot of inventions and technological creativity that simply did not exist in the China of that time, though China had been amazingly creative in technology during earlier eras.

An EXCELLENT read on the subject, by (for my money) our best living economic historian, is the book The Lever of Riches: Technological Creativity and Economic Progress, by Joel Mokyr, Professor of Economics at Northwestern University------which is THE place to go, if you are a young person who wants to intensively study economic history.