Hunger as a weapon of war

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
I saw this on 60 minutes last night. What a nightmare:

War and hunger

The World Food Programme might be just one of the best ideas America ever had -- WFP is the emergency first responder to hunger anywhere on the globe. The United Nations launched WFP in 1961 at the urging of the United States. And today the U.S. government still pays the biggest part of the bill as the World Food Programme feeds 80 million people a year.
We first brought you this story in November as WFP faced its greatest challenge, confronting war and hunger. And that's what's happening still today in Syria where you will find heroes of the World Food Programme saving the most vulnerable people in what looked to us like the edge of oblivion.
Scott Pelley: This berm marks the border between Syria and Jordan. The refugees that we ran into were coming across the top of the berm and turning themselves in to the safety of Jordanian border officers here. More than a million have crossed into Jordan so far during the three-year civil war in Syria.

They had been farmers, shopkeepers, office workers. Now they shared one occupation: saving the children with matted hair and faces covered in ten days of misery. We noticed the little ones around Halima. Turns out she's the mother of nine.
Part of what has stolen hope inside Syria is hunger. Starvation is a weapon in the war that began as an uprising against the dictator Bashar al Assad. These words read, "kneel or starve." Signed Assad's soldiers. All sides are laying siege to communities and cutting off the food. This is what happened in a neighborhood called Yarmouk in January of 2014 when a U.N. food convoy broke through. The people had eaten the dogs and the cats and were running low on leaves and grass. This girl eventually starved to death, five miles or so from a supermarket.
Matthew Hollingworth: The people of Old Homs asked us to evacuate women, children and the sick before any assistance came in. So we went through the last checkpoint. And there we could see in front of us 80 or 90 children, women and sick and injured people waiting to come out. And then the worst thing happened. The sniping started.

Scott Pelley: People were shooting at you.
They're feeding desperate, starving people, and have to dodge bullets to do it. Heroes, but they're fighting a losing battle. How sad.

Refugee camp: This is the largest in the world, built for 130,000, but to serve six million displaced people:

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Lincoln wielded that weapon with a vengeance.
Wouldn't have been a problem if:

(1) Plantations weren't primarily growing cotton which is definitely not a food source.

(2) if the owners knew how to actually operate the plantations (without slaves).

(3) The South used fragile, high feed requiring Thoroughbreds, the North used tough and thrifty all purpose Morgan type horses.

Last edited:
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Not in Homs, if you bothered to know what this article (and the program on TV last night) says. The area is controlled by the FSA but it's the Assad regime that keeps them in and supplies out. They do not burn what is taken in. They can't GET in. The FSA defends it and the people are eating the food that was FINALLY arranged.

Feb 2015
sadness
Not in Homs, if you bothered to know what this article (and the program on TV last night) says. The area is controlled by the FSA but it's the Assad regime that keeps them in and supplies out. They do not burn what is taken in. They can't GET in. The FSA defends it and the people are eating the food that was FINALLY arranged.
no, i did not see the show.

though it makes no difference to me.... i dont think we should be feeding the world. More so to people how hate us.

Aug 2012
Greenridge Free State
no, i did not see the show.

though it makes no difference to me.... i dont think we should be feeding the world. More so to people how hate us.

Misguided "help" to the Third World for the last 60 or more years, led to a population explosion that is coming to a head worldwide.

We either learn to depopulate scientifically and as humanely as possible, or, the old standbys, war, plague and famine step in.