Hurricane Florence

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Perhaps she was referring to the "beach sand" at the coastline.

Some of that may have been relocated.

That can always be fixed...

But, yeah, I would guess that the coastline is still there.
I may have misunderstood her and she meant just the current rise in the tide and storm surge. I thought she was making some global warming comment that our coastlines were actually disappearing. So it's possible I misunderstood what she was saying on second thought.

Jul 2014
midwest
I may have misunderstood her and she meant just the current rise in the tide and storm surge. I thought she was making some global warming comment that our coastlines were actually disappearing. So it's possible I misunderstood what she was saying on second thought.
You may be correct.

Maybe it WAS her intention to suggest that our coastlines are disappearing due to global warming.

Big storms like this frequently relocate beach sand, though...

Nov 2014
North Carolina
You may be correct.

Maybe it WAS her intention to suggest that our coastlines are disappearing due to global warming.

Big storms like this frequently relocate beach sand, though...
I'm sure they do. But my point was the coastline is still in the exact same spot it was 40 years ago. It hasn't disappeared or significantly eroded.

But if her intent was to suggest they are currently under water due to the hurricane and the temporary storm surge then that's true.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
They were interviewing people on the beach yesterday on CNN, mostly middle aged couples who shrugged off the danger and who knows, maybe they'll be okay. But their flippant attitude kind of made me think if they end up on their roof maybe they should leave them there.
It pisses me off when people consciously decide to stay after an evacuation order and then endanger other people when they need rescuing. They should be fined.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
It pisses me off when people consciously decide to stay after an evacuation order and then endanger other people when they need rescuing. They should be fined.
I do sympathize with people who have no money or transportation, are caring for family members who have limited mobility (or refuse to leave), pets that cannot be easily transported, etc. But the folks I was seeing just decided to stay for no apparent reason other than they felt like it. That's just stupid.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Just heard a report re: rescues they've had to make already - including a couple who'd planned to ride the storm out -- on a boat. :rolleyes:
Can actually see the warped logic here. When the flooding comes in the boat simply rises with the tide. Easy peasy.

Likely didn't calculate in the power of the wind. Or all the fly debris/projectiles that are components of that wind.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I do sympathize with people who have no money or transportation, are caring for family members who have limited mobility (or refuse to leave), pets that cannot be easily transported, etc. But the folks I was seeing just decided to stay for no apparent reason other than they felt like it. That's just stupid.
That's a good point. Many of the people who stayed in New Orleans during Katrina simply had no way to get out.

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
Luckily it was only a category 1 when it hit. Not a category 3.

The wind isn't that bad. The flooding is going to suck though.
While I understand the purpose and need to categorize hurricanes, such categorizations can lead people to make some bad decisions. They do not understand that those categories only refer to wind speed. They don't consider that hurricanes have dangerous factors beyond wind speed. For example, Florence is rather slow moving and the high pressure systems from the north may cause it to stall. Accordingly, it will dump massive rather atypical amounts of water causing major flooding. I would guess there are a number of people that will say: if it had stayed a Category 3, I would have left, but since it is now just a Category 1, I'm going to ride it out. While wind is a significant danger, more people have died due to flooding over the years.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
That's a good point. Many of the people who stayed in New Orleans during Katrina simply had no way to get out.
I think Katrina helped change how we evacuate for the better. You see pet friendly shelters and motels all the time now and they consistently do the one-way freeway thing anymore. I don't know if it's created better transportation for people with vehicles (or reliable vehicles) but I would imagine it has.