Hurricane Michael and F-22's at Tyndall

Jan 2007
Hurricane smashes stealth bombers

Almost all personnel had been evacuated from Tyndall before the Category 4 hurricane crossed the coast. Air force officials admit returning assessment teams have found “widespread catastrophic damage”.

We know 55 Raptors are based there.

Reportedly, 33 F-22s sought sanctuary at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.

That leaves 22 of the $475 million warplanes unaccounted for.

This could be a serious hit to the Air Force. Waiting to hear more details.

Jan 2007
Tyndall Air Force Base a ‘Complete Loss’ Amid Questions About Stealth Fighters

Tyndall Air Force Base a ‘Complete Loss’ Amid Questions About Stealth Fighters

The high-tech F-22 is notoriously finicky and not always flight-worthy. An Air Force report this year found that on average, only about 49 percent of F-22s were mission ready at any given time — the lowest rate of any fighter in the Air Force. The total value of the 22 fighters that may remain at Tyndall is about $7.5 billion.

Jul 2014
midwest
There are, or were only 187 F-22's in the inventory spread out among 6 bases.

And, they aren't making any more of them.

So, hopefully we did not lose many.

I would expect that at least a few bit the dust...

Jan 2007
There are, or were only 187 F-22's in the inventory spread out among 6 bases.

And, they aren't making any more of them.

So, hopefully we did not lose many.

I would expect that at least a few bit the dust...
If we lost a base and 22 jets , that is a major loss. Air Force will have to reevaluate it's power projection now.

Jan 2007
Hopefully much can be salvaged from the planes. Maybe some are still in ok shape. Junked air frames, may have avionics that are able to be salvaged.

Jul 2016
8/20/19 PH HISTORY!
News videos shows the hanger destroyed, as well as the planes.

There's plenty of shuttered down military bases around the country. Including five or six in Florida.Shut it down, transfer personnel and equipment elsewhere.

Jul 2014
midwest
News videos shows the hanger destroyed, as well as the planes.

There's plenty of shuttered down military bases around the country. Including five or six in Florida.Shut it down, transfer personnel and equipment elsewhere.
That might happen.

But, right now the plan from Rubio, Nelson, and Scott is to rebuild.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Hurricane smashes stealth bombers

Almost all personnel had been evacuated from Tyndall before the Category 4 hurricane crossed the coast. Air force officials admit returning assessment teams have found “widespread catastrophic damage”.

We know 55 Raptors are based there.

Reportedly, 33 F-22s sought sanctuary at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.

That leaves 22 of the $475 million warplanes unaccounted for.

This could be a serious hit to the Air Force. Waiting to hear more details.
Uh they can FLY. Why the fuck were they not ordered to fly to a safer location before the storm hit?
Some moron needs to be court-martialed for stupidity. I mean seriously, 22 planes worth $475 fucking million EACH???

Jan 2007
Uh they can FLY. Why the fuck were they not ordered to fly to a safer location before the storm hit?
Some moron needs to be court-martialed for stupidity. I mean seriously, 22 planes worth $475 fucking million EACH???
Maybe some number of them were down for maintenance issues. There will be some hard investigating going on.....I hope.