Hurricane Michael and F-22's at Tyndall

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I heard on the news last week that they were reporting they were having a hard time getting enough pilots there with experience to fly these planes out of there. I cant imagine that being the case unless there were some logistic issues getting the pilots down there with a hurricane coming? We watched last week as the F16s fly by up here to go to Pease Tradeport where they will be held for now.

F16s come to Pease to escape Hurricane Michael

Jan 2007
So re-schedule the fucking maintence. One article said there were 55 of these planes based there. You telling me that any given time almost half of them are unavailable to fly missions??? That's the sort of reliability the tax-payer gets for $475 million a copy?
Yes. F-35 has a rather high down time too.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
22 planes left behind out of 55 may not be unrealistic considering how maintenance intense the F-22 is. Maybe more detail on the aircraft loss will be coming out.
It does sound a little high considering we are talking about roughly 40%, but yea I can believe it.
At Yokota AB JApan (C-130) at any given time we might have 5+ birds down for maintenance which was around 35%.

Jan 2007
It does sound a little high considering we are talking about roughly 40%, but yea I can believe it.
At Yokota AB JApan (C-130) at any given time we might have 5+ birds down for maintenance which was around 35%.
What planes were stationed there? My brother was there for awhile.

Jan 2007
It's already been reported that the base will be rebuilt.

Much easier to rebuild the base than the airplanes.
What a job that will be. Many bases are set near hurricane zones. I lived around Tampa Bay where McDill AFB sits. Just a few feet above sea level. A hurricane coming up the Tampa Bay area would pile a ton of water over that base. 6-8 ft above sea level.

Jul 2014
midwest
What a job that will be. Many bases are set near hurricane zones. I lived around Tampa Bay where McDill AFB sits. Just a few feet above sea level. A hurricane coming up the Tampa Bay area would pile a ton of water over that base. 6-8 ft above sea level.
Lots of current bases date back to WWII or before.

How bases are chosen for closure is often more about politics than defense requirements.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
We heard about this down here. I wondered why they didn't get them out and presumed it was aircraft awaiting maintenance, not capable of flying--I assumed a 'few'. Doesn't sound like that was the case. Someone FUCKED UP or had a lot of aircraft out of commission to begin with. Every storm on the east coast when I used to live in Jacksonville, everything flew out of there. Mayport, NAS Jacksonville, jets out Cecil Field. Even the ships left port.

Nah, that oughta buff right out.