Hurricane Michael and F-22's at Tyndall

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
We heard about this down here. I wondered why they didn't get them out and presumed it was aircraft awaiting maintenance, not capable of flying--I assumed a 'few'. Doesn't sound like that was the case. Someone FUCKED UP or had a lot of aircraft out of commission to begin with. Every storm on the east coast when I used to live in Jacksonville, everything flew out of there. Mayport, NAS Jacksonville, jets out Cecil Field. Even the ships left port.

Video God, this is sickening...

From a Pensacola paper

Photos: Tyndall Air Force Base damage after Hurricane Michael

This was a base...

How'd you like to see this in your backyard?

It is something to see a craft that can fly right through a tornado upturned and awry...

First things first... the craft is far too expensive to begin with, this shouldn't have cost billions, but millions.

50% hangar queens... one might also ask why these are in the inventory in the first place, to give maintenance something to do?

I guess they didn't strap any down and probably wouldn't or couldn't inside a hangar, they might have been better off on the flight line as opposed to the hangar, THAT's where the negligence is here!

No one figured the storm would be as powerful as it was, live and learn.

Thx :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Flimsy hangars housing very expensive hardware in hurricane alley seems like a severe lack of forethought. They know not all aircraft are not flight ready.
Exactly, I was going to add, the planes are worth probably way more than the hangars!

$8 billion in damage there, how does that compare to the rest of the total damages across the state?

Thx :)

Jul 2014
midwest
Flimsy hangars housing very expensive hardware in hurricane alley seems like a severe lack of forethought. They know not all aircraft are not flight ready.
I would not be surprised if they rebuild with hardened hangers.

Much like in Korea, Europe...etc.