I’m Republican. I Appreciate Assault Weapons. And I Support a Ban.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
By BRIAN MAST - FEB. 23, 2018 Continue reading the main story
Brian Mast, a Republican, is the representative for Florida’s 18th congressional district.

The most important and unregrettable time of my life was the 12 years I spent in the Army. I became a bomb technician because I wanted to save lives. I nearly gave my own life for that — I lost both my legs and a finger when a roadside bomb detonated beneath me — and have known more heroes than I can count who died defending others.

When I was with others on the battlefield and we saw a chance to save a life, we didn’t have a meeting about it; we acted immediately. I never worried about becoming a casualty myself. Now, as a Republican congressman from Florida, I don’t fear becoming a political casualty, either. If we act now by changing laws surrounding firearms and mental illness, we too can save lives.

Most nights in Afghanistan, I wielded an M4 carbine and a .40-caliber pistol. The total barrel length of my M4 was approximately 14 inches with Trijicon ACOG sights, as well as an infrared laser. I usually carried 10 magazines stacked with 20 rounds of 5.56-millimeter ammunition each. My rifle was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon used to kill students, teachers and a coach I knew at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where I once lived.
...more...
Continue reading the main story

Great to see our politicians, regardless of party, doing whats best for Floridians.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
By BRIAN MAST - FEB. 23, 2018 Continue reading the main story
Brian Mast, a Republican, is the representative for Florida’s 18th congressional district.

The most important and unregrettable time of my life was the 12 years I spent in the Army. I became a bomb technician because I wanted to save lives. I nearly gave my own life for that — I lost both my legs and a finger when a roadside bomb detonated beneath me — and have known more heroes than I can count who died defending others.

When I was with others on the battlefield and we saw a chance to save a life, we didn’t have a meeting about it; we acted immediately. I never worried about becoming a casualty myself. Now, as a Republican congressman from Florida, I don’t fear becoming a political casualty, either. If we act now by changing laws surrounding firearms and mental illness, we too can save lives.

Most nights in Afghanistan, I wielded an M4 carbine and a .40-caliber pistol. The total barrel length of my M4 was approximately 14 inches with Trijicon ACOG sights, as well as an infrared laser. I usually carried 10 magazines stacked with 20 rounds of 5.56-millimeter ammunition each. My rifle was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon used to kill students, teachers and a coach I knew at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where I once lived.
...more...

Great to see our politicians, regardless of party, doing whats best for Floridians.
We've already had assault weapon bans. They predictably did nothing.

If you truly want to save lives then we need to focus on realistic solutions that will actually have an effect.

Oct 2011
Washington State

If you truly want to save lives then we need to focus on realistic solutions that will actually have an effect.
Mass killings are up since the Assault Weapons Ban was lifted in 2005.

Guns Asault.jpg

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida

The AR15 used by the shooter at the Parkland massacre was on that list of weapons banned, so you are incorrect in your assumption.

As for other realistic solutions, an action plan has been submitted to the FL legislature as the first step in inacting some of those solutions.

http://politicalhotwire.com/current-events/188701-fls-action-plan-post-parkland-massacre.html

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
Mass killings are up since the Assault Weapons Ban was lifted in 2005.

View attachment 15572
Banning Assault rifles had no significant impact on crime. Clinton's own justice department admitted that.

Koper, Jan 14: In general we found, really, very, very little evidence, almost none, that gun violence was becoming any less lethal or any less injurious during this time frame. So on balance, we concluded that the ban had not had a discernible impact on gun crime during the years it was in effect.

His words.

Banning assault rifles is not going to take guns off the street, just like banning drugs didn't take drugs off the street. There are more guns in America than there are people. So the only gun control measure that would have any significant impact would be a large scale effort to go out there and start confiscating these guns. Otherwise you're much better off concentrating on improving security at schools.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
The AR15 used by the shooter at the Parkland massacre was on that list of weapons banned, so you are incorrect in your assumption.

As for other realistic solutions, an action plan has been submitted to the FL legislature as the first step in inacting some of those solutions.

http://politicalhotwire.com/current-events/188701-fls-action-plan-post-parkland-massacre.html
No you are incorrect in your assumption that had the AR 15 been banned the shooter would not have been able to acquire one illegally - or simply used a different gun.

Your assault rifle ban is useless. It would do nothing except perhaps make some gun smugglers richer like these drug bans have done. So unless you are prepared to actually target the supply of guns then banning them is pointless. Mass murderers are not going to care what the law is - and so long as they can readily acquire guns to kill people they are going to regardless of what the law says.

Knives kill more people every year in this country than assault rifles do. You aren't going to solve the problem of gun violence in this country by banning rifles.

Last edited:

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Banning Assault rifles had no significant impact on crime. Clinton's own justice department admitted that.

Koper, Jan 14: In general we found, really, very, very little evidence, almost none, that gun violence was becoming any less lethal or any less injurious during this time frame. So on balance, we concluded that the ban had not had a discernible impact on gun crime during the years it was in effect.

His words.

Banning assault rifles is not going to take guns off the street, just like banning drugs didn't take drugs off the street. There are more guns in America than there are people. So the only gun control measure that would have any significant impact would be a large scale effort to go out there and start confiscating guns. Otherwise you're much better off concentrating on improving security at schools.

Your plan to continue flooding this country with easy access to guns failed to protect our children. That option is no longer on the table. FL will be enacting stricter laws regarding buying guns soon. The era of unrestricted arms race in Florida is coming to an end... many of our politicians from both parties are now working together.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
Your plan to continue flooding this country with easy access to guns failed to protect our children. That option is no longer on the table. FL will be enacting stricter laws regarding buying guns soon. The era of unrestricted arms race in Florida is coming to an end... many of our politicians from both parties are now working together.
Just like our drug laws keep drugs out of schools right?

Give me a break Tedminator. Just because I live in reality - that does not mean I don't want to stop children from being gunned down in schools. I am just serious about the issue and want to see solutions that are actually effective implemented. Not some impotent gun ban that will do nothing.

And this country is already flooded with guns. So unless you are actually prepared to go out there and take the guns off the street and out of people's hands - you can ban them all you want but they are still going to be there. Just wishing these guns away with some law is not going to magically cause them to vanish.

Last edited:

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Give me a break Tedminator. Just because I live in reality - that does not mean I don't want to stop children from being gunned down in schools. I am just serious about the issue - and want to see solutions that are actually effective implemented. Not some impotent gun ban that will do nothing.
Why aren't kids in school attacked with landmines and grenades?

Because they aren't sold to the public, just the military. (think about it)

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Why aren't kids in school attacked with landmines and grenades?

Because they aren't sold to the public, just the military. (think about it)
Because landmines and grenades are not readily available. Guns and assault weapons however are.

If simply banning something made them stop being sold - when then has the drug war been such an abysmal failure? (think about it)

And if there were millions and millions of grenades and landmines already in circulation across this country then banning them wouldn't do much good either. Criminals would still be able to get their hands on them regardless of what laws we passed.

You have to go after the supply if you want to effectively control guns. Otherwise your're wasting your time.

Last edited: