I don't get anorexia.

May 2012
By the wall
I've been watching a lot of the carpenters and I don't get how someone starves themselves.

I mean, I get suicide and stuff like that but putting yourself through a slow death and not realizing it seems obscure to me.

Here is one of her later videos and I could literally put my hands around her waist and touch my fingers together.

Such a wonderful voice and such a huge loss....I just don't get it.

How can you not want a cheeseburger.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
There is plenty of literature out there discussing it and explaining it. It's not hard to find. Lot's of personal accounts, too.

Mar 2019
TN
I've been watching a lot of the carpenters and I don't get how someone starves themselves.

I mean, I get suicide and stuff like that but putting yourself through a slow death and not realizing it seems obscure to me.

Here is one of her later videos and I could literally put my hands around her waist and touch my fingers together.

Well that explains a lot about your comments in general. You’ve obviously never had to deal with someone that was seriously mentally ill. You don’t “understand” ?? That lack of empathy makes me feel sad for you.

Apr 2015
Katmandu

I don't get anorexia either, but could probably use a little these day.

Nov 2018
Maryland
Well that explains a lot about your comments in general. You’ve obviously never had to deal with someone that was seriously mentally ill. You don’t “understand” ?? That lack of empathy makes me feel sad for you.
How does feeling empathy help anyone who has this disease? Are you actively trying to help someone who has this condition?

Just because someone doesn't understand why people behave in a certain way, doesn't mean they don't care.

Mar 2019
TN
How does feeling empathy help anyone who has this disease? Are you actively trying to help someone who has this condition?

Just because someone doesn't understand why people behave in a certain way, doesn't mean they don't care.

Your comments about “how could anyone not want a cheeseburger” indicate a fundamental lack of understanding about mental illness. It’s a disease, like cancer. You don’t ask for it. You don’t want it. It can be hard, and in some cases impossible, to fix. It’s not that she didn’t want that hamburger. She may have loved burgers. But something way down deep in her brain kept her from eating it.

Think about something, anything you are particularly fanatical about and then imagine THAT implies being 10 times, 100 times, 1000 times stronger !!

Nov 2018
Maryland
Your comments about “how could anyone not want a cheeseburger” indicate a fundamental lack of understanding about mental illness. It’s a disease, like cancer. You don’t ask for it. You don’t want it. It can be hard, and in some cases impossible, to fix. It’s not that she didn’t want that hamburger. She may have loved burgers. But something way down deep in her brain kept her from eating it.

Think about something, anything you are particularly fanatical about and then imagine THAT implies being 10 times, 100 times, 1000 times stronger !!

I wasn't talking about cheeseburgers, but about those who pretend to care about an issue, yet they seem to think just saying they care is all that is needed. I am well aware mental health issues are important and should not be taken lightly and I never said that it wasn't important.

You seem to have a fundamental lack of comprehension and are reading things into something that aren't there.