I hate video for video's sake

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Mainly I run into this on The Hill. I like The Hill for very timely news on goings on in Washington. But I'm sitting there reading a decent short article on a topic and all of a sudden I'm interrupted by a narrator who sounds like they came from the high school film strip factory. The visuals aren't especially interesting and I'M ALREADY READING what the dry-as-dust presenter is articulating verbatim. So I have to stop and turn off the video viewer.

Can't we just have some news sites where you READ?

I mean, even CNN. Yes it's a TV network, but so much of its online video is repetitive "carp" and I'd really just prefer to read in silence.

End of "harrumph."

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Thought this was going to be about FaceTime et al. I get that on or around Christmas, people who can't be there in person get a Facetime call. I'm fine with that. What I didn't expect was that people would start using it while walking down the street, or in a restaurant, or wherever. So the people who use speakerphone in public places have upped their game to include video. Great.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
"Back in MY day..."

"You kids get off my lawn!"
Yeah, right. "Back in YOUR day"—like the past five-ten years—video was GOOD. The stuff on The Hill is like what you see on your local 24-hour cable news channel, only with an intern or a print reporter reading it like some amateur FROM "my day."

Jul 2014
midwest
Yeah, right. "Back in YOUR day"—like the past five-ten years—video was GOOD. The stuff on The Hill is like what you see on your local 24-hour cable news channel, only with an intern or a print reporter reading it like some amateur FROM "my day."
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Lotsa people are too lazy to read.

They'll watch a video, but won't read hardly anything.

Jul 2014
midwest
You meant, "They will hardly read anything."
Correct, they won't read anything when they can watch a video.

When I was growing up, I read all the time.

Kids growing up today don't have the time.

They got phones, video games, hundreds of TV channels...all that good sthuff...