I received an odd text yesterday. Any idea what it means?

Mar 2019
On a drive-by
I received a text that was one digit off from my phone number that read "Hey number neighbor".

Should I be wary of this sort of thing? Is it some new sort of phishing scam that I should be aware of?

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
It’s some new thing going around where people are texting the person with a phone number similar to theirs but the last digit is one higher or one lower. It seems harmless enough

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
I received a text that was one digit off from my phone number that read "Hey number neighbor".

Should I be wary of this sort of thing? Is it some new sort of phishing scam that I should be aware of?
You should. Phone numbers on caller ID are often spoofed, so probably got a message from a computer that is pretending to be the number one digit off from yours. If you reply back, you'll probably be put on a list that tells them there is a live person at that number, and you'll start getting many more junk text messages. That said, it could also just be some harmless message from a teenage kid who thought it would be funny.

Either way though, I can't see any reason to respond.

Jan 2014
California

Mr. Z,

Hey Z in user name neighbor, you shouldn't be concerned. Send me your phone number and I will text you some cool business opportunities.