I Think The Menendez Brothers Are Innocent

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
This case is unusual, because they admitted the shooting but claimed they were not guilty due to their mental state. Battered child syndrome, imperfect self-defense, temporary insanity.....whatever.

If they did it for greed, they're guilty. If they did it to end a lifetime of abuse, they're innocent (or guilty of a far less serious crime.)

The reason I think so is because killing your parents is an extremely rare crime. Cold-blooded, premeditated murder of both parents is even more rare. And dual sibling assassins is unheard of to my knowledge.

(Though there really is nothing new under the sun, and I am confident, it has happened before.)

What is NOT rare is sadistic, almost unimaginable cruelty by parents towards their own children. And when abuse occurs in a wealthy family, the victims are FAR less likely to be believed, even less so rescued. And the father was a "self-made man", meaning nobody else in these brothers' lives was also wealthy. Nobody else had the personal power to defend the brothers if they had tried to mutiny on the parents.

If I am right, two men are doing LWOP, stripped of all their parents' wealth, and have no claim on the public sympathy at all. They are despised as the evil entitled family anniliators that most horrified us as to how family can be a danger.

Did they get a fair trial? Were they adequately represented?

Did you ever suspect they might NOT be guilty? If they are innocent, do you care?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Of course you do.

Me, I believe Justice was served.
Why "of course"?

I am pretty sure I rank among the most punitive, law and order PHers here.

But.....IF they were acting as a result of battered child syndrome, and not greed, then this is a massive miscarriage of justice and I don't like thinking we (as a nation) accept injustice as a result without any attempt to make it right.

I have known women and children trapped inside abusive families among the very wealthy, and it is a fucking horror show. There is literally no way to make them safe unless the abuser dies or loses interest.

Ever read about the girlfriend of a DuPont heir, murdered by her step-FIL? Pati Margello.

Last edited:
May 2012
By the wall
They could have moved/run away.

There is always a better option.

Its like the "Burning Bed" story. Yes you can sympathize but normal people wouldn't do that.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
They could have moved/run away.

There is always a better option.

Its like the "Burning Bed" story. Yes you can sympathize but normal people wouldn't do that.
I think most likely they should have been convicted of a lesser crime. Voluntary manslaughter, maybe. They would be out now.

Instead they are going to die in prison. Most likely 40+ years from now.

As miscarriages of justice go, it doesn't keep me awake at night....but I am not sure I am at all proud of this attitude of mine.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
The guilty assholes belong in prison, for a damn long time. Oh wait, they are in prison for a long time. Good.

Sep 2016
My own world
I think most likely they should have been convicted of a lesser crime. Voluntary manslaughter, maybe. They would be out now.

Instead they are going to die in prison. Most likely 40+ years from now.

As miscarriages of justice go, it doesn't keep me awake at night....but I am not sure I am at all proud of this attitude of mine.
Madeline I don’t believe for one minute those parents were abusive to the point those boys were in fear of them. Maybe they where in fear of losing their inheritance if they disappointed their parents but the boys were not tortured. Stop being willing to carry water for everyone that claims to be a victim and reserve your energy for cases that outside sources can verify the story. Anybody can scream they are victims but only legit ones can get outside sources to claim they were aware of it. Zero people knew anything was a miss with these boys in terms of abuse before the murders.

Last edited:

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Madeline I don’t believe for one minute those parents were abusive to the point those boys were in fear of them. Maybe they where in fear of losing their inheritance if they disappointed their parents but the boys were not tortured. Stop being willing to carry water for everyone that claims to be a victim and reserve your energy for cases that outside sources can verify the story. Anybody can scream they are victims but only legit ones can get outside sources to claim they were aware of it. Zero people knew anything was a miss with these boys in terms of abuse before the murders.
I don't know about that. Everything I've read about the parents is that the dad was very abusive while the Mom was enabled her husband.

Still no excuse for killing them though. Agree they could of just run away - it's not like they were broke. Seems like the older son was a bit crazy himself.