I Think The Menendez Brothers Are Innocent

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
IF they were killed during a beating.... they i would agree. As it is... that is not how it happened. They planned the killing and followed through with it. That is called premeditated murder.
Andrea Yates also carried out planned murders. The fact of planned, purposeful conduct is not always proof positive the killer did not have a massive mental health challenge that constitutes a valid defense.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Yeah, but.

There's a reason the law recognizes different classes of unjustified homicides.
Madeline, let's face it, you come out in favor of the criminal and against law enforcement every time. These two had a trial. They are now serving their sentences. Good riddance. If you want to play Don Quixote and try tilting at windmills go for it. How many convicted felons serving time are you pen pals with?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Madeline, let's face it, you come out in favor of the criminal and against law enforcement every time. These two had a trial. They are now serving their sentences. Good riddance. If you want to play Don Quixote and try tilting at windmills go for it. How many convicted felons serving time are you pen pals with?
The purpose of the Legal Issues forum is to discuss........wait for it......legal issues. What makes you think that questioning whether the case withstands scrutiny after trial suggests I am happy to see more kids murder their parents?

You appear to have a belief that punishing innocent people is beneficial, which I have never understood.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The Menendez Brothers aren't innocent. That has already been determined. They are murderers.
No shit! This thread exists because I think that verdict is/might be wrong.

Are you suggesting that there should not be degrees of murder? Or that defenses such as battered child syndrome should not exist?

You always, always, always want more painful punishments for more people, but the criminal justice system does not exist to satisfy your emotional craving for sadism. That is not a legitimate public purpose.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
No shit! This thread exists because I think that verdict is/might be wrong.

Are you suggesting that there should not be degrees of murder? Or that defenses such as battered child syndrome should not exist?

You always, always, always want more painful punishments for more people, but the criminal justice system does not exist to satisfy your emotional craving for sadism. That is not a legitimate public purpose.
You are aware that they brought this defense up during the trial. The jury didn't buy it. Now they are in prison.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You are aware that they brought this defense up during the trial. The jury didn't buy it. Now they are in prison.
Yes, dear. I am aware of that fact.

Why does this convo upset you so much? I see zero chance it will actually lead to a different outcome for the brothers.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Yes, dear. I am aware of that fact.

Why does this convo upset you so much? I see zero chance it will actually lead to a different outcome for the brothers.
I have watched you, time and time again, take up for murderers. This isn't your first time defending lawbreakers, criminals, and illegals. You do it on a regular basis. Unless they are conservatives or police, then you want them locked up.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I have watched you, time and time again, take up for murderers. This isn't your first time defending lawbreakers, criminals, and illegals. You do it on a regular basis. Unless they are conservatives or police, then you want them locked up.
Baloney. The case that bothers me the most is that of a former Akron police captain, in prison for the murder of his wife. I think he is actually innocent.

Douglas Prade.

Questioning verdicts or sentences is not a "pro-criminal" behavior.