If edwards career is done then why isn't McLames?

L

liberalman

Now, we get to the most relevant question - if John Edwards' political career is done, why isn't John McCain's? John McCain had a well-documented affair on his first wife, with his current wife. He has admitted in the books he has written about his life that he ran around with several different women while still married to his first wife. And don't forget that he left her for a younger, richer woman - multi-millionaire Cindy Hensley who is now Cindy McCain - after she had been severely hurt in a car accident.
Cenk Uygur: How is John McCain's Affair Different than John Edwards'?

Hmmm he cheated on his 1st wife NUMEROUS times, left her for a younger richer woman and left her after she had been severely hurt in a car wreck...hmmm so I guess that he should be tossed out with the bathwater as well since he can't control his urges.

And what about Bob Barr the Liberterian candidate who:

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, Jan. 12) -- Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt is accusing Republican Rep. Bob Barr of Georgia of sexual infidelity, hypocrisy and lying under oath about an abortion.

Barr is refusing to discuss his personal life with the news media, but issued a statement saying "I have never perjured myself...I have never suggested, urged, forced or encouraged anyone to have an abortion."

In a late-night news conference in California, Flynt released an affidavit from Barr's former wife, Gail, in which she said Barr paid for an abortion she had in 1983 and that he never objected to it.

Barr said under oath in his 1986 divorce testimony that he did object to the abortion.
Barr

The ex-wife also said in the affidavit that she now believes Barr, while still married to her, began
What's the most horrible-est dirt scandal on......Bob Barr? - Yahoo! Answers

Personally I could care less about either affair as it is immaterial in my eyes to either mans ability or inability to lead....shoot given the fact that both of them got a woman younger then themselves to jump in the sack it just might prove they can lead for all I know! lol!....but this does seem to be a litmus test for some of our more fundementalist posters. This being the case one has to wonder just who in the hell are you going to vote for since infidelity disqualifies a candidate I guess that only leaves Obama unless of course his fathering 2 black children means he is unable to lead as well.

S

Six

Now, we get to the most relevant question - if John Edwards' political career is done, why isn't John McCain's? John McCain had a well-documented affair on his first wife, with his current wife. He has admitted in the books he has written about his life that he ran around with several different women while still married to his first wife. And don't forget that he left her for a younger, richer woman - multi-millionaire Cindy Hensley who is now Cindy McCain - after she had been severely hurt in a car accident.
Cenk Uygur: How is John McCain's Affair Different than John Edwards'?

Hmmm he cheated on his 1st wife NUMEROUS times, left her for a younger richer woman and left her after she had been severely hurt in a car wreck...hmmm so I guess that he should be tossed out with the bathwater as well since he can't control his urges.

And what about Bob Barr the Liberterian candidate who:

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, Jan. 12) -- Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt is accusing Republican Rep. Bob Barr of Georgia of sexual infidelity, hypocrisy and lying under oath about an abortion.

Barr is refusing to discuss his personal life with the news media, but issued a statement saying "I have never perjured myself...I have never suggested, urged, forced or encouraged anyone to have an abortion."

In a late-night news conference in California, Flynt released an affidavit from Barr's former wife, Gail, in which she said Barr paid for an abortion she had in 1983 and that he never objected to it.

Barr said under oath in his 1986 divorce testimony that he did object to the abortion.
Barr

The ex-wife also said in the affidavit that she now believes Barr, while still married to her, began
What's the most horrible-est dirt scandal on......Bob Barr? - Yahoo! Answers

Personally I could care less about either affair as it is immaterial in my eyes to either mans ability or inability to lead....shoot given the fact that both of them got a woman younger then themselves to jump in the sack it just might prove they can lead for all I know! lol!....but this does seem to be a litmus test for some of our more fundementalist posters. This being the case one has to wonder just who in the hell are you going to vote for since infidelity disqualifies a candidate I guess that only leaves Obama unless of course his fathering 2 black children means he is unable to lead as well.
Im not willing to give the guy a pass but the whole Edwards thing is new. Not to mention Edwards was the epitome of a scumbag lawyer way before he was outed in the affair.

G

Goldwater

Now, we get to the most relevant question - if John Edwards' political career is done, why isn't John McCain's? John McCain had a well-documented affair on his first wife, with his current wife.
Right now the Conservative Meania Hyena pack is currently circling and chewing portions of John Edward's legs off while they figure out other ways to punish him in ways that would make a Gestapo Officer puke and run away.

While that is happening...they are not attacking Obama as much. If they distracted the Hyena pack with affair allegations against McCain, the Hyena pack would run to the defense of McCain, the lead dog in the den. After defending McCain regarding an affair, they know they might get "pot calling the kettle black" syndrome if they attacked Edwards, so they would be at Obama's door once again, all of them sniffing and salivating looking for a way in.

S

Six

Right now the Conservative Meania Hyena pack is currently circling and chewing portions of John Edward's legs off while they figure out other ways to punish him in ways that would make a Gestapo Officer puke and run away.

While that is happening...they are not attacking Obama as much. If they distracted the Hyena pack with affair allegations against McCain, the Hyena pack would run to the defense of McCain, the lead dog in the den. After defending McCain regarding an affair, they know they might get "pot calling the kettle black" syndrome if they attacked Edwards, so they would be at Obama's door once again, all of them sniffing and salivating looking for a way in.
There is plenty of time to get back on the Obama bashing bandwagon. Just wait utill the general election really kicks in and he has to debate with out a teleprompter.

G

Goldwater

There is plenty of time to get back on the Obama bashing bandwagon. Just wait utill the general election really kicks in and he has to debate with out a teleprompter.
You know what that Teleprompter bullshit is supposed to do a Conservatives mind...convince them that John McCain is a better speaker than Obama.

I think Obama's bigger worry is what you say, plenty of cackling and pack hunting to do because the Republican mud slinging machine is still better than the Democrats. It's a low class trailer trash way to win an election but effective the last 2 elections. That's how we got that moron, hick. C or worse student from Dumbassville TX that ruined our country.

This is just my guess, and no insinuation about you Six, but what used to be a Maverick who most Republicans hated has become what some Republicans will put up to avoid a black man becomming President.

Sad...

J

justoneman

If Edwards owns up to all associated with this affair then it is possible for him to pursue political office later. He has not owned up to this yet. Sure he was caught and then with extreme pressure applied finally with every eye on him he admits the affair. But we all know it is only because he was caught. even still he is claiming to have been telling the truth 99% about things before. Well that is a lie. He is still lying. He is not repentant. The other problem is he not only lied to his wife but he lied to us. He went on TV during the actual campaign and said stuff like his marriage to his wife was perfect. He looked in the camera at us and lied.

John McCain had an affair. it is true. He owned up to it. He got a divorce. he paid his price.

It is not the same. People are not perfect and i do not think the public expects perfection. They do however expect people running for office to own up to their frailties. I am waiting for Edwards to do it completely. Here to date, he has not.

B

boontito

I've made this point before as well, I do think Edwards could come back after time but never again to the level of Presidential Candidate. I think there are two reasons that McCain gets a pass regarding his infidelity.

1. His documented affairs happened earlier in his career when he wasn't running a nationwide campaign.

2. Times have changed and where in the past any negative action from someone's earlier life would derail their political future, now people tend to forgive things that happened long ago. Sometimes they convince themselves and sometimes they're convinced by the campaign itself that this is no longer the same person, that they have changed. Bill Clinton overcame an admission of affairs, George W. Bush overcame a drunk driving conviction, and John McCain has so far overcome his admission of multiple affairs.

Though he is relatively young, politically speaking, I can't see him waiting the 10+ years it would take to make a comeback on the national scene.

F

Freedom for All

Because...

....Edwards was already a has been.

McCain will be a has-been after the end of his one term as President, which will start in 2009.

F

Freedom for All

I've made this point before as well, I do think Edwards could come back after time but never again to the level of Presidential Candidate. I think there are two reasons that McCain gets a pass regarding his infidelity.

1. His documented affairs happened earlier in his career when he wasn't running a nationwide campaign.

2. Times have changed and where in the past any negative action from someone's earlier life would derail their political future, now people tend to forgive things that happened long ago. Sometimes they convince themselves and sometimes they're convinced by the campaign itself that this is no longer the same person, that they have changed. Bill Clinton overcame an admission of affairs, George W. Bush overcame a drunk driving conviction, and John McCain has so far overcome his admission of multiple affairs.

Though he is relatively young, politically speaking, I can't see him waiting the 10+ years it would take to make a comeback on the national scene.
Clinton got away with rape. Edwards could certainly get away with his love child.

I don't care about it.

But he's already been defeated in the primaries because he didn't have anything resembling an original idea.

Of course, that means he's exactly like the leading two contenders, but Democrats don't seem to notice this. All the voters saw in the primaries was

:blah: - A white yuppy lawyer, Type: male, Model: Scum

and

:blah: - A white yuppy lawyer, Type: female, Model: rapist enabler version.

and

:blah: - A black guy.

The white yuppy lawyer, Type: male, Model: Scum didn't stand a chance in a political party that values race over everything else.

F

freckles

My personal opinion is that, in regards to Barr, who cares. In regards to McCain, if he was currently not a public servant, he would be fucked. But he isn't. Hence why Edwards is done. It's one thing when you are a current servant. It's another when you want to be one.