If I Were President

Mar 2019
TN
Game over on item number one. We have what is called THE best economy in decades. Yet we have NOT added anywhere near $250 Billion in new revenues. So how do you propose to add so much additional revenue ?

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
You do know if you had read the opening post that I addressed this very point in the FIRST LINE!!!
That still doesn't make it any less nonsensical. Support of congress for this list is so far from the realm of possibility, you might as well have said that you will develop a source of energy that is limitless and free to everyone, or construct a highway to the moon.

For example:

1.) Cut the U.S. federal budget deficit by 50% each year.

doesn't jive well with this:

considering your 6 and 7.

Seems mathematically impossible to cut overall spending 50% while increasing military spending. How do you plan to do it without the help of magic?

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Nov 2007
That still doesn't make it any less nonsensical. Support of congress for this list is so far from the realm of possibility, you might as well have said that you will develop a source of energy that is limitless and free to everyone, or construct a highway to the moon.

For example:

1.) Cut the U.S. federal budget deficit by 50% each year.

doesn't jive well with this:

considering your 6 and 7.

Seems mathematically impossible to cut overall spending 50% while increasing military spending. How do you plan to do it without the help of magic?
Once again, you didn't read what I posted (I figure this is a common problem). I never said anything about "cutting overall spending 50%". Nor if you read the details did I talk about only reducing discretionary spending. If you're going to attack the deficit you inevitably have to attack entitlement spending as well.

Once again, IIRC from 1996 to 1997, the U.S. federal budget deficit was reduced by something like 70%.

If it was done once it can be done again.

Nov 2007
Game over on item number one. We have what is called THE best economy in decades. Yet we have NOT added anywhere near $250 Billion in new revenues. So how do you propose to add so much additional revenue ?
Read posts #3 and #4.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Once again, you didn't read what I posted (I figure this is a common problem). I never said anything about "cutting overall spending 50%". Nor if you read the details did I talk about only reducing discretionary spending. If you're going to attack the deficit you inevitably have to attack entitlement spending as well.

Once again, IIRC from 1996 to 1997, the U.S. federal budget deficit was reduced by something like 70%.

If it was done once it can be done again.
IIRC, that was done (in part) by increasing the top marginal tax rate, and without a massive increase in military spending.

The deficit is the difference between what the government collects and what it spends, so where is all the money going to come from to pay for your huge increase in military spending? There just isn't enough to cut to make up the difference, at least not without raiding Medicare and Social Security funds just as tens of millions of baby boomers are retiring. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Nov 2007
IIRC, that was done (in part) by increasing the top marginal tax rate, and without a massive increase in military spending.

The deficit is the difference between what the government collects and what it spends, so where is all the money going to come from to pay for your huge increase in military spending? There just isn't enough to cut to make up the difference, at least not without raiding Medicare and Social Security funds just as tens of millions of baby boomers are retiring. Good luck with that.
Who said that there would be a huge increase in military spending?

As for federal revenue increasing. From Thebalance.com

federal tax revenue

As one can see since the end of the so called "Great Recession" there have been numerous years when federal tax revenue annually increased from 20 billion (2015-2016) to 250 billion (2013-2014)

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Who said that there would be a huge increase in military spending?

I think you did:

6) Commit the U.S. to 4% for Freedom- Defense spending at a minimum of 4% of GDP .

GDP is currently $21.5 trillion, so 4% of that is $860 billion, minimum. So about an 18% increase in military spending, right?

As for federal revenue increasing. From Thebalance.com

federal tax revenue
As one can see since the end of the so called "Great Recession" there have been numerous years when federal tax revenue annually increased from 20 billion (2015-2016) to 250 billion (2013-2014)
Not sure I follow you on this one. Huh?