If mass shooting is about mental illness...

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
I would not go that far. By firearms deaths per 100,000, the U.S. is 10th.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia
Right. After nine Central and South American nations and Jamaica. Earlier I had specified that we must be the most mentally ill WESTERN nation. I should have kept it that way.

But also, I specified "mass shootings." I realize when you're dead, you're dead, but whenever there's a mass shooting the conservative response is "mental illness."

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 10.14.15 AM.png

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Right. After nine Central and South American nations and Jamaica. Earlier I had specified that we must be the most mentally ill WESTERN nation. I should have kept it that way.
Or the developed world. That, I would agree with (using the specified criteria).

Clearly, the answer is to support the pharmaceutical industry by prescribing more drugs. :drool:

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
We have a culture with too many people acting out whatever impulse comes upon them. Seems to be a lack of inhibitions and self control. Should we define that along the lines of mental illness? I don’t know the answer.

With that being said. Firearms just allow them the opportunity to inflict the most damage. Just an observation here.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
With that being said. Firearms just allow them the opportunity to inflict the most damage. Just an observation here.
Note that the Wikipedia chart indicates total firearms deaths, not merely mass shootings.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Untreated, yes, likely.

Bad at healthcare, we don't make money by effectively treating people. This has been a progressive argument for as long as I've been here, now we're going to argue the opposite because it fits the angry white guy narrative?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Untreated, yes, likely.

Bad at healthcare, we don't make money by effectively treating people. This has been a progressive argument for as long as I've been here, now we're going to argue the opposite because it fits the angry white guy narrative?
True that.

On the other hand, I want to argue that we're NOT the most mentally ill Western nation and that other factors have ignited/enabled the urge to act out "righteously" (in the minds of the shooters) against a perceived problem or threat.

Jun 2014
United States
Untreated, yes, likely.

Ever wonder how we got an "angry white guy narrative"?

You think someone just made that up out of whole cloth?

Really?