If "white privilege" is real...

Feb 2019
Florida
You've never flinched at posting that word, have you?
Now THAT is a fascinating question. I asked this in another thread, but I might as well ask you. What is the power in this N word, that it has the ability to ruin lives and careers? (careers of white people, I might add. Black rappers have no problem at all getting rich off that word)

Truthfully, I don't like the word. But that's not out of any idiotic sense of political correctness. That word reminds me of my earliest childhood, back when I was surrounded by the REAL bigots of the day. N words flew all over the place. There was real hate. And I hated the people who were using that word, (although at the time I didn't know it.) I had no black friends at first because our society was totally segregated. It was an ugly time. I realize that more these days when I look back on it. And it's the reason why I'll return to that small minded North Carolina town only at gunpoint.

I had relatives in northern Louisiana who were equally southern segregationists. In the late 50s that was an even uglier place to be. It was the generation.

What REALLY bothers me is the fact that this word, this basic ignorant mispronunciation of the Spanish word for black (Negro) has so much power. It is so powerful, people don't DARE say the whole word unless they are Spike Lee, making yet another racist film. It is so powerful that it can only be uttered as N word by white people. It's like whites are confined to our own vocabulary lunch counters.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Now THAT is a fascinating question. I asked this in another thread, but I might as well ask you. What is the power in this N word, that it has the ability to ruin lives and careers? (careers of white people, I might add. Black rappers have no problem at all getting rich off that word)

Truthfully, I don't like the word. But that's not out of any idiotic sense of political correctness. That word reminds me of my earliest childhood, back when I was surrounded by the REAL bigots of the day. N words flew all over the place. There was real hate. And I hated the people who were using that word, (although at the time I didn't know it.) I had no black friends at first because our society was totally segregated. It was an ugly time. I realize that more these days when I look back on it. And it's the reason why I'll return to that small minded North Carolina town only at gunpoint.

I had relatives in northern Louisiana who were equally southern segregationists. In the late 50s that was an even uglier place to be. It was the generation.

What REALLY bothers me is the fact that this word, this basic ignorant mispronunciation of the Spanish word for black (Negro) has so much power. It is so powerful, people don't DARE say the whole word unless they are Spike Lee, making yet another racist film. It is so powerful that it can only be uttered as N word by white people. It's like whites are confined to our own vocabulary lunch counters.
[video]

Jul 2011
NYC
Here is a deep question for you. Will you have the courage to answer?

Does Jay-z's romanticizing his lifestyle of selling drugs and glorifying violence as well as open sexist, homophobic and misogynistic lyrics and utterances help or hurt ending so called "white privilege"?

Its when questions like these go ignored that show how much bullshit white privilege really is.

@Isalexi no comment?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Here is a deep question for you. Will you have the courage to answer?

Does Jay-z's romanticizing his lifestyle of selling drugs and glorifying violence as well as open sexist, homophobic and misogynistic lyrics and utterances help or hurt ending so called "white privilege"?
Jay-Z and his wife became billionaires by entertaining. For whatever reasons, millions of people want to spend their money buying their music and attending their concerts. They get rich by selling what people think they want and by promoting their own popularity. Therefore like politicians they also say things that they think will keep them popular and more loved by their fan base.

There will always be a bunch of celebrities out there who either hoard their wealth or flaunt it or both while also bemoaning inequality. And they will always have millions who adore them and will look past their hypocrisies and praise them for their lip service.

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Florida
Wanna talk privilege?

What race DOMINATES football and basketball? I'll give you one guess.

And here's the deal: Professional sports is the most CAPITALISTIC and COLORBLIND employer on the planet. There is ZERO affirmative action in the NBA (a league that began with all white players.) It is totally free market and dog eat dog. NO player got there because of his color at all. It was ALL due to merit. And take a guess which race dominates both the NFL and the NBA.

The beauty of professional sports is the total LACK of ANY kind of racial privilege whatsoever. It's ALL based 100 percent on merit.

Sep 2014
USA
I started my college courses at 47 years old and finished my program when I was 50 years old. Those were the most satisfying and productive years of my adult life.
I changed careers 3 times...so far. I earned a BBA in my 20's, a BSN in my 30's and a MSN/MHA in my mid forties. Each time my GPA improved from one degree to the next. I agree...I loved being a student but the thought of returning for my PhD makes me feel nauseous. :)

Feb 2019
Florida
I changed careers 3 times...so far. I earned a BBA in my 20's, a BSN in my 30's and a MSN/MHA in my mid forties. Each time my GPA improved from one degree to the next. I agree...I loved being a student but the thought of returning for my PhD makes me feel nauseous. :)
I think EVERY fellow student I went to school with changed his/her major at least once.