If you like smart radio hosts that know their stuff and take no prisoners, watch this UK LBC host

Sep 2012
California
His name is James O'Brien and I just discovered him a few days ago. He is relentlessly logical and incredibly well informed. If only we had someone like him here.

Now this clip is with an American Trump supporter so it's not a typical call into the show. Most of what he covers is Brexit and he has caller after caller display incredible ignorance about Brexit and the impact of a Brexit vote. When you listen to the Brexit callers you see an astonishing similarity with Trump supporters. It is all belief and no facts. He usually gets the caller to admit sooner or later that what they really hated was seeing foreigners running around town. Uncanny resemblance to what we are going through here with Trump.

Oct 2014
British expat in USA
Nigel Farage, one of the Brexit leaders, was an early visitor to Trump Tower after the election. The Brexit supporters in the UK do indeed have a lot in common with Trump supporters here, especially in their hatred of immigrants and asylum seekers. Mind you, I've got friends in the UK who whole-heartedly support Brexit and were horrified by the election of Trump and apparently genuinely couldn't see the parallels, so I guess it's a matter of perception sometimes.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The way that caller argued is EXACTLY what it's like debating with Trump supporters. It's become pointless to debate with them. They're hopeless.

Oct 2014
British expat in USA
His name is James O'Brien and I just discovered him a few days ago. He is relentlessly logical and incredibly well informed. If only we had someone like him here.

Now this clip is with an American Trump supporter so it's not a typical call into the show. Most of what he covers is Brexit and he has caller after caller display incredible ignorance about Brexit and the impact of a Brexit vote. When you listen to the Brexit callers you see an astonishing similarity with Trump supporters. It is all belief and no facts. He usually gets the caller to admit sooner or later that what they really hated was seeing foreigners running around town. Uncanny resemblance to what we are going through here with Trump.
Listening to the people on those clips of his reminded me of a wonderful online conversation I saw a while back. Bunch of pro-Brexit Brits whingeing on about the awfulness of immigrants and people from other cultures daring to come into the country and threaten British culture, and why don't we just crash out of the EU, anything must be better than having our way of life threatened. About half an hour later it was "OK, time for dinner." "Same here, what are you having?" "Oh, we're going for a curry." "Same here!" "We're having Thai, already had Chinese this week so that'll be a bit different." "Oh, we're just ordering in a pizza." And I'm thinking, what's all this about wanting to preserve British culture? Nobody having fish and chips or steak and kidney pie or anything? Totally beggared belief.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Some say fried fish was a dish brought in by Jewish immigrants, and chips came from Belgium. A certain gentleman of that religious persuasion, MrJoseph Malin, opened a shop in the East End of London selling this novel combination in 1860.

Oct 2014
British expat in USA
Well, just about everything comes from elsewhere if you go back far enough, but an island nation like Britain is going to have a tradition of eating seafood. Not so much a tradition of eating Thai and pizza, though.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Well, just about everything comes from elsewhere if you go back far enough, but an island nation like Britain is going to have a tradition of eating seafood. Not so much a tradition of eating Thai and pizza, though.
UKIP like a bit of antisemitism, so miss the irony of eating their favourite Jewish immigrant fast food!