If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose

Sep 2013
Canada
If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Christians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.

We have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Please specify what ideology you follow in your reply.

Regards
DL

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I think unjust actions motivated by religious ideology should be opposed, but that would be the same as if the same actions were not motivated by religious ideology.

I think religions are rooted in mythical storytelling that are holdovers from medieval periods and before, and I while I think people are free to convince themselves to believe in mythical things, I don't think they deserve any additionally special treatment than any other person who has a mythical or delusional belief system.

I also don't think young children should be pontificated to by their parents that mythical things like God and the Devil exist. I don't know how that sort of thing can be regulated, but I think it's wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
Canada
I think unjust actions motivated by religious ideology should be opposed, but that would be the same as if the same actions were not motivated by religious ideology.

I think religions are rooted in mythical storytelling that are holdovers from medieval periods and before, and I while I think people are free to convince themselves to believe in mythical things, I don't think they deserve any additionally special treatment than any other person who has a mythical or delusional belief system.

I also don't think young children should be pontificated to by their parents that mythical things like God and the Devil exist. I don't know how that sort of thing can be regulated, but I think it's wrong.
If you only oppose the actions and leave the ideology that caused the action to grow and spread, then we are not in full agreement as I think the ideology to be the root and cause of the actions.

I too dislike child indoctrination into belief in the supernatural. I think it to be child abuse.

I do not think we can regulate that but we can reduce it by teaching comparative religion in schools and let the teachers tell the children the official truth and then let them, hopefully, correct their parents who were abused into believing such nonsense.

Regards
DL

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
If you only oppose the actions and leave the ideology that caused the action to grow and spread, then we are not in full agreement as I think the ideology to be the root and cause of the actions.

I too dislike child indoctrination into belief in the supernatural. I think it to be child abuse.

I do not think we can regulate that but we can reduce it by teaching comparative religion in schools and let the teachers tell the children the official truth and then let them, hopefully, correct their parents who were abused into believing such nonsense.
I think I’m paraphrasing Ricky Gervais when I say “Religion’s greatest trick wasn’t convincing people that there was a God who is all powerful, it was convincing everyone else that you couldn’t ridicule the idea.” Time to start ridiculing.

Sep 2013
Canada
I think I’m paraphrasing Ricky Gervais when I say “Religion’s greatest trick wasn’t convincing people that there was a God who is all powerful, it was convincing everyone else that you couldn’t ridicule the idea.” Time to start ridiculing.
That would perhaps work with the left wingers in any given religion but not with the right wingers as they that even if idiotic or unexplainable, they must still believe.

These show how insidious faith is.

[video=youtube;J6dik9UKMEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6dik9UKMEY[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6MrBl9E&feature=related

This last shows how and why religions start with the young. They are aware of this penchant for the young to be fooled into a long lasting belief. I do not agree with the premise that a supernatural entity is required to keep us on the straight and narrow but the experiment shows how early indoctrination and brain washing works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

Tell us, are you good at ridicule? If so, I might get you to show me how to ridicule a few immoral tenets that theist believe and who are not persuaded by my moral arguments.

Regards
DL

Last edited:
Sep 2013
Canada
Yea, it all depends on what you mean by actively oppose it.
There may be only one way to oppose imbedded ideas and ideologies. Good arguments against them.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -- Thomas Jefferson

Why that is is shown with this quote.

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”
Jonathan Swift

I am not good at ridicule and try via moral arguments but few theists seem to care about morality and end in following vile Gods like Yahweh and Allah.

Regards
DL