Ilhan Omar Accuses Israel Hawks of ‘Allegiance to a Foreign Country’

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I think the point....is the hypocrisy. Omar gets a pass due to freedom of speech. Trump says the exact same thing...and he is a dickhead. They both are racist morons.

In all respect...bullshit. Who's giving her a pass? Her "dual-loyalty and Benjamins" remarks were blatantly antisemitic, and anyone who defended them as legitimate criticisms of Israel were probably antisemites themselves. And Tlaib is no better, IMO. I've defended them with regard to Trump's attacks on their citizenship and on Israel's boneheaded decision to refuse entry to members of the U.S. Congress.

And that's it. Personally, I think they're both self-serving attention whores and I hope they're both successfully challenged in the next round of elections.

Jul 2016
Florida
I think the point....is the hypocrisy. Omar gets a pass due to freedom of speech. Trump says the exact same thing...and he is a dickhead. They both are racist morons.
One would think the President of the United States would be held to a higher standard than a freshman member of the House of Representatives.

I also see the same hypocrisy in this thread; particularly with your fellow righties gang banging Ilhan Omar for her comments but giving a pass to Trump with no criticism of his words and actions.

Makes me think it's a lot more about their own prejudices than anything else.

Jul 2016
Florida
In all respect...bullshit. Who's giving her a pass? Her "dual-loyalty and Benjamins" remarks were blatantly antisemitic, and anyone who defended them as legitimate criticisms of Israel were probably antisemites themselves. And Tlaib is no better, IMO. I've defended them with regard to Trump's attacks on their citizenship and on Israel's boneheaded decision to refuse entry to members of the U.S. Congress.

And that's it. Personally, I think they're both self-serving attention whores and I hope they're both successfully challenged in the next round of elections.
Remember, she apologized for those comments. Has Trump?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Ok, I will say it. Devil's Advocate and all that. I didn't see her comments as "anti-Semitic". Because they can be applied not only to Jews, but any community who live here, but support the government of their home country, for money or other reasons. Like Russians who live here, but are huge Putinoids. Me and others speaks equally derisively of such folks too :)

Jun 2014
United States
Wow. All it takes is for Trump to say something and the clouds part and sunshine beams through. This is why Omar was being criticized. Because she invoked dual loyalty, like in the OP of this thread. Because she accused Israel supporters of being bought off. Because she made bigoted statements about supporters of Israel, not just Israel itself.
But hallelujah! After all this time you have finally figured out that "Criticizing Israel is not anti-Semitic" is a bullshit trope used to cover for anti-Semites.

I don't think that I ever tried to equate anything that Omar said with a criticism of Isreal, so your hypocrisy argument is a red herring so far as I'm concerned. She was criticizing US Jewish political organizations.

As for what she said compared to what Trump said, I'd need to see the one statement that you posted in the OP in context to judge it. I heard what Trump said in context. It was a horrible insult to American Jews. Whether you choose to label the statements of either of them as "anti-Semitic" is irrelevant to me. That's just a subjective opinion on your part.

I don't support anti-Semitism from anyone, and I neither condone nor apologize for anything that Omar says. She speaks for herself and her constituents, and I'm not one of her constituents. I am, however, one of Donald trump's constituents, and I consider his insult to Jews unacceptable.

BTW: I stand by my assertion that "Criticizing Israel is not anti-Semitic." is a valid statement, so long as you don't attempt to apply it out of context in order to make a bullshit argument.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Ok, I will say it. Devil's Advocate and all that. I didn't see her comments as "anti-Semitic". Because they can be applied not only to Jews, but any community who live here, but support the government of their home country, for money or other reasons. Like Russians who live here, but are huge Putinoids. Me and others speaks equally derisively of such folks too :)

You can extrapolate it anyway you like, but the fact is, she did say it about Jews. I think the second half of the part in bold is a broad generalization as well. IMO, just believing in a country's right to exist does not always translate to supporting its government, investing money, etc.

And frankly, having dual-loyalties is not an accusation one often hears applied to Italian-, Irish-, German-, or even African-Americans here.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
You can extrapolate it anyway you like, but the fact is, she did say it about Jews.

I think the second half of the part in bold is a broad generalization as well. IMO, just believing in a country's right to exist does not always translate to supporting its government, investing money, etc.

And frankly, having dual-loyalties is not an accusation one often hears applied Italian-, Irish-, German-, or even African-Americans here.
Not anymore. But back in the day, it was applied to Roman Catholics. That's why it took so long to elect a Catholic president. There were people who seriously thought that JFK would be beholden to the Pope.

Jun 2014
United States
You can extrapolate it anyway you like, but the fact is, she did say it about Jews. I think the second half of the part in bold is a broad generalization as well. IMO, just believing in a country's right to exist does not always translate to supporting its government, investing money, etc.

And frankly, having dual-loyalties is not an accusation one often hears applied to Italian-, Irish-, German-, or even African-Americans here.

You should have been around in the early '60s. When JFK was elected President, as the first Catholic, it was almost as big a deal as when Obama was elected. He was accused of being under the control of the Pope.