Ilhan Omar: This is not going to be the country of the white people.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Fair enough.

She could have made her point without saying we won't be a white nation, there was absolutely no reason to add that in for the context she was going for. She listed two issues she has a problem with, xenophobics and white people.

She could have just left it with "we are a nation of many, not a few" and made her point but she felt the need to say that it also won't be a white nation.
You are correct that her point could have been better-worded. However it does not necessarily follow that the wording she used resulted in a "racist statement," which was your original contention.

If you just want to point out that she could have chosen better wording, then we're in agreement.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
You are correct that her point could have been better-worded. However it does not necessarily follow that the wording she used resulted in a "racist statement," which was your original contention.

If you just want to point out that she could have chosen better wording, then we're in agreement.
That has to be the biggest load of bullshit I have ever seen in an attempt to justify a racist comment.

Eveyone knows that if the tables were turned and it was Donald Trump making the exaxt comment that the Left would claim the Country to be in some kind of racist crisis.

May 2012
By the wall

What I am asking is if she is racist by the wording she chooses to use.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas

"This is not going to be the country of the Black people"

What would the reaction be?

We ALL know what the reaction would be.

If not for double standards our Leftist friends would have no standards at all.

May 2012
By the wall
That has to be the biggest load of bullshit I have ever seen in an attempt to justify a racist comment.

Eveyone knows that if the tables were turned and it was Donald Trump making the exaxt comment that the Left would claim the Country to be in some kind of racist crisis.
Yep and that was the idea here. There was no reason she couldn't express her point without adding white people into it but she felt the need to do so anyways.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio

I was thinking if she'd added the word "just" in her comment it would have helped.

"This isn't going to be just the country of white people".

But I think those determined to read malice into her every word probably would have had the same reaction.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work

If the tables were turned and Donald Trump said "This is not going to be the country of the xenophobics. This is not going to be the country of the white people. This is not going to be the country of the few. This is going to be the country of the many." after Charlottesville, he would have blown people away for giving such a firm response to the Unite the Right types. Instead he said "there were good people on both sides".

It would have been a firm rebuke of White Nationalism, and I would have applauded it. Wouldn't you?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
What I am asking is if she is racist by the wording she chooses to use.
If you're "asking," then my answer is "no." And I explained why; If you don't want to backtrack through the thread, say so, and I'll share the post #s.