Ilhan Omar: This is not going to be the country of the white people.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I was thinking if she'd added the word "just" in her comment it would have helped.

"This isn't going to be just the country of white people".

But I think those determined to read malice into her every word probably would have had the same reaction.
But, Omar didn't say "just" did she.

You guys have to add words to make her comment seem it was saying something other than what she said.

Why not accept what she said in her own words?

We know why ......

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
If the tables were turned and Donald Trump said "This is not going to be the country of the xenophobics. This is not going to be the country of the white people. This is not going to be the country of the few. This is going to be the country of the many." after Charlottesville, he would have blown people away for giving such a firm response to the Unite the Right types. Instead he said "there were good people on both sides".

It would have been a firm rebuke of White Nationalism, and I would have applauded it. Wouldn't you?
This is a thread about Ilhan Omar's racist comment.

You want to discuss that fake news MSM lie about the President, start you own thread.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
This is a thread about Ilhan Omar's racist comment.

You want to discuss that fake news MSM lie about the President, start you own thread.
So why were you blathering on about some hypothetical situation where Trump had said what Omar said?

Please direct me to the thread you start about that so I can reply.

Or you can just answer me here... Wouldn't you applaud Trump for rebuking White Nationalism like that? If not, why not?

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Doesn’t answer my question about where to reply to your poorly thought out hypothetical. Just to recap, Omar’s comment is a strong and welcome rebuke of the white nationalist current that wants to make the US a “white nation”. Trump would have been applauded by nearly everyone if he had made it, and most certainly by republicans because it would distance him from that contingent.

If you disagree, why?

Apr 2018
oregon
Merely saying that it's a racist statement doesn't automatically make it one. I've already explained it twice, but perhaps the third time is the charm:

Telling people that the U.S. "isn't the country of the white people" is saying that despite the fact that white people hold all the cards, they shouldn't be granted a higher status because of the color of their skin. This isn't a racist message.

Telling people that the U.S. "isn't the country of the black people" is saying that black people - an oppressed demographic - aren't wanted in the U.S. This is a racist message.

While the "racism litmus test" of swapping-races in the two phrases is admittedly easy, it does not always yield accurate results.
Still racist.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Which ones are the racists here? The white people that saved her out of Somalia, or Omar?
Do you have proof that the people who "saved her out of Somalia" were white people? It's not like the US has only white folks in it right? This sort of thread sounds very out of context. I'm gonna look for more info on her remarks. But meanwhile, my first observation is that white folks love to throw the race card and wail about being victimized at least as much as minorities do.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
View attachment 23485

Ilhan Omar blasts 'demented views' in first extensive comments since Trump tweets

Seriously, can't we just throw this freak show in Gitmo or something at this point.

I don't think I've ever seen a more racist person in congress. She makes Truman look like a saint.
I think she chose her words poorly, but if you read all of them, it makes sense at what she is trying to do. She is coming against the sort of white supremacists that have been attacking Jewish and Islamic targets as well. She should have been more specific, because it sounds like she is pitting the white folks against the minorities. I do not believe that is her intention.

She's inexperienced in politics, so blunders like this are not surprising. We'll see how she weathers it. If she doesn't correct course in some way, she likely will lose in her next election.