Illegals in the Military

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
Should they, illegals here in the USA, be allowed to enlist in the military?

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
No. They should be deported. If one wants to serve our country, legally become a part of it.

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
So, a child brought here, admittedly illegally, when that child was four years old, after attending grade school and high school here, and now wants to defend the only country they have ever really known, and you would have them deported? Interesting.

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
We've often let non-citizens serve in the Military. Notably Filipinos but also many others as a path to citizenship. The "illegal" aspect is a concern. A child, now grow, who was brought here by their parents is one thing. A person of age who crosses into the country illegally then attempts to enlist should be directed to go home and apply through legal channels.

Reactions: Jets
Apr 2011
Under your skin
I think military service could be a path to citizenship, but the person has to be upfront about their legal status when they apply. If a person is willing to put their life on the line for this country, then they should be allowed to be a citizen. Give back something.

Reactions: Rasselas

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
That is what Russia is now doing: 3 years of military service gets you a passport. Of course, like everything in Russia, it is not quite working just yet: a guy I know, came to Russia from Azerbaijan, served 3 years in the army, they said he has to serve more, he has now served 2 more, so, 5 years total (2 of those in hot spots in North Caucasus), and still he has yet to see that passport. He is now married, has a daughter who is Russian-born... She will probably be a citizen before he will.

If America wants to do something like this, work out all the problems first.

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
We've often let non-citizens serve in the Military. Notably Filipinos but also many others as a path to citizenship. The "illegal" aspect is a concern. A child, now grow, who was brought here by their parents is one thing. A person of age who crosses into the country illegally then attempts to enlist should be directed to go home and apply through legal channels.
I do not want us to mix up illegals serving in the military with non citizen immigrant legals serving in the military. I agree completely that a child brought here illegally by a parent should be allowed to serve in the military and also make that a path to citizenship.