Impeachment deposition delayed after Republicans storm proceedings

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Dozens of House Republicans on Wednesday stormed the secure facility inside the Capitol where impeachment investigators have been deposing witnesses, forcing a delay to the proceedings.

The two sides were still trying to work through the standoff by mid-morning, with Republicans who do not sit on the committees leading the inquiry refusing to leave the Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) in the basement of the Capitol and Democrats insisting those lawmakers had no right to be there.

According to people familiar with the matter, some GOP lawmakers brought their cell phones into the secure area — a significant violation of House rules. Another person said the room had to be fully swept for potential security breaches.

They can be as obnoxious as they want but it won't change anything.

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
I’m sure the conservatives on this board will be absolutely outraged that they compromised a secure facility like that! After all, the handling of classified information is of upmost importance, no?

To storm a SCIF with electronic devices? That’s a massive breech of national security.

I’m sure all the GOPers will be chanting “lock him up!” At Matt Gaetz.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
Will be interesting to know if the White House has any knowledge of this charade, seeing how only yesterday they were demanding republicans do more about the impeachment.

I’m sure we will find out in the coming ethics and OIG investigations.
The charade is the so called Impeachment

Reactions: Crusher
May 2016
california
They brought their cell phones? Doesn't sound spy like unless NSA is listening in, which is possible I suppose.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Republicans knew they would be turned away from the closed-door deposition; only members who sit on the authorized committees are permitted to sit in on the sessions. Scores of Republicans who sit on the three panels leading the inquiry have been participating in the witness interviews.

I represent nearly a million Floridians who are asking me my thoughts on this process, and yet I can’t relay to them anything except what’s being leaked to the media. It is really a travesty,” said Rep. Michael Waltz (R-Fla.), a member of the Armed Services panel.

In reality, more than 45 House Republicans — nearly a quarter of the House GOP conference — already have full access to the depositions via their membership on one of the three committees leading the impeachment inquiry. And during the depositions, Republican counsel is given the same amount of time to question witnesses as Democratic counsel.

So basically, just a stupid stunt.