In terms of the anthem, Silver expects NBA players

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
President Donald Trump’s comments and tweets about NFL players who take a knee during the national anthem – and the league’s response, from owners to players – has dominated headlines since last weekend. They have also led to plenty of discussion about what, if anything, NBA players will do during the anthem when preseason games begin this weekend, or when the regular season begins in less than three weeks.
There is one significant difference, however, between the two leagues: the NFL has no rule about what players should do during the anthem. The NBA does.
“We have a rule that requires our players to stand for the anthem,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said at his news conference following the conclusion of this week’s Board of Governors meetings in New York. “It’s been our rule for as long as I’ve been involved with the league, and my expectation is that our players will continue to stand for the anthem.”
In terms of the anthem, Silver expects NBA players to stand ? The Denver Post

well now, this is an interesting development. After making such a stern proclamation some players may take it as a challenge. In fact, I don't see how they wouldn't. Silver has now put them in the position of having to make a hard choice. For sure, they agreed to the rules as written. But, that was before all of the controversy. The players had no way of knowing at the time of the agreements any of this would come up. What's more, is it's high time the players started reminding the NBA of their importance. It's because of their talent that the NBA is what it is. They are the NBA. Not the commissioner. And personally, I hope they all tell him to bugger off.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
A contract is a contract. They break it,they can be fired. No matter what the made up controversy is now.

Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2013
USA
I'm guessing they can lock arms. In any case the NBA would likely not press that as they already have the best in the sport signed and know they can't actually dictate to millionaires wanting to focus on social injustice.

Sep 2014
United States
President Donald Trump’s comments and tweets about NFL players who take a knee during the national anthem – and the league’s response, from owners to players – has dominated headlines since last weekend. They have also led to plenty of discussion about what, if anything, NBA players will do during the anthem when preseason games begin this weekend, or when the regular season begins in less than three weeks.
There is one significant difference, however, between the two leagues: the NFL has no rule about what players should do during the anthem. The NBA does.

well now, this is an interesting development. After making such a stern proclamation some players may take it as a challenge. In fact, I don't see how they wouldn't. Silver has now put them in the position of having to make a hard choice. For sure, they agreed to the rules as written. But, that was before all of the controversy. The players had no way of knowing at the time of the agreements any of this would come up. What's more, is it's high time the players started reminding the NBA of their importance. It's because of their talent that the NBA is what it is. They are the NBA. Not the commissioner. And personally, I hope they all tell him to bugger off.
Police brutality wasn't a thing before the players signed this agreement?

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu

What's the hard choice, be good Americans obey your employer and do what the fans want or join Colin Kaepernick in dishonoring the American flag.

That is a no brainer, not a hard choice.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
If Lebron or Curry take a knee someone is going to fire them? It doesn't work that way. LOL
That's depends. Fines and suspensions can be issued to obtain compliance. Not sure what happens if it goes on too long.

Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2013
USA
What's the hard choice, be good Americans obey your employer and do what the fans want or join Colin Kaepernick in dishonoring the American flag.

That is a no brainer, not a hard choice.
Your version of "reality" is interesting. Unrealistic and parsed wrong but still interesting.