Increasing AntiSemitism in France

Mar 2018
Florida
Since 2000 55,000 Jews have fled France. AntiSemitism attacks have increased. Nine years ago a French woman was a guest speaker at my Synagogue. She told us in chilling detail how one had to hide their synagogues, not wear yarmulkas or any identifying articles to show their Judaism. Their children are attacked. It has only gotten worse.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
The kind of angry nativist and populist rhetoric favored by people like Le Pen and Trump has traditionally gone hand-in-hand with anti-Semitism. So, it's not surprising to see anti-Semitism rising again as politicians shamelessly stoke those fires.

I think that's a big part of why such a large majority of Jews voted for Clinton in the 2016 election (Trump got 23% of the Jewish vote, which is even worse than he did with, say, Latina women, 18-24-year-olds, and many other groups that despised him). Most Jews have good educations, with a particular focus on historical periods when Jews were made to suffer, and they know Trumpist rhetoric is a harbinger. On paper, Trump should have been popular with Jewish voters -- he comes from a highly Jewish area of the country, has Jewish immediate family members, is funded by several prominent Jewish people, and is highly supportive of the current regime in Israel. Yet he did worse with Jews than even Bush and Romney had done. Most Jews could see the writing on the wall.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The kind of angry nativist and populist rhetoric favored by people like Le Pen and Trump has traditionally gone hand-in-hand with anti-Semitism. So, it's not surprising to see anti-Semitism rising again as politicians shamelessly stoke those fires.

I think that's a big part of why such a large majority of Jews voted for Clinton in the 2016 election (Trump got 23% of the Jewish vote, which is even worse than he did with, say, Latina women, 18-24-year-olds, and many other groups that despised him). Most Jews have good educations, with a particular focus on historical periods when Jews were made to suffer, and they know Trumpist rhetoric is a harbinger. On paper, Trump should have been popular with Jewish voters -- he comes from a highly Jewish area of the country, has Jewish immediate family members, is funded by several prominent Jewish people, and is highly supportive of the current regime in Israel. Yet he did worse with Jews than even Bush and Romney had done. Most Jews could see the writing on the wall.
Yet there is a danger out there with some progressives supporting recognizing Palestine as its own state. I dont know if you remember back in 2014 that the Boston police had to step in to protect Jewish students from threats and such at various "die in" rallies where they supported Palestine. I do think a lot of Jewish people want to support democrats but are deeply concerned about this. From what I have read about Europe most of the anti semitism is coming from those who are against the existence of Israel and favor Palestine.

Jewish students extracted from Boston anti-Israel ‘die-in’

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
CNN just had to let go a commentator for anti Israel remarks.

CNN dropped commentator Marc Lamont Hill on Thursday after he made remarks in support of Palestinian rights that some interpreted as calling for the elimination of Israel. “Marc Lamont Hill is no longer under contract with CNN,” a network spokesperson told POLITICO.

CNN drops commentator after Israel remarks

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
CNN just had to let go a commentator for anti Israel remarks.

CNN dropped commentator Marc Lamont Hill on Thursday after he made remarks in support of Palestinian rights that some interpreted as calling for the elimination of Israel. “Marc Lamont Hill is no longer under contract with CNN,” a network spokesperson told POLITICO.

CNN drops commentator after Israel remarks
Lamont Hill is a racist Democrat Operative.

He will be picked up by another MSM outlet soon enough.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Since 2000 55,000 Jews have fled France. AntiSemitism attacks have increased. Nine years ago a French woman was a guest speaker at my Synagogue. She told us in chilling detail how one had to hide their synagogues, not wear yarmulkas or any identifying articles to show their Judaism. Their children are attacked. It has only gotten worse.
France and Sweden are the two countries in Europe with the highest populations of muslims.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Yet there is a danger out there with some progressives supporting recognizing Palestine as its own state.
What danger would that be? I may see your point, if what you're referring to is a danger that pro-Palestine activism can bleed into anti-Semitism, if people wind up letting their outrage of Likud's war crimes and human rights abuses fester into sentiments about Jews generally. But if you're going further and suggesting that somehow supporting recognizing Palestine as its own state is inherently anti-Semitic, I strongly disagree.

From what I have read about Europe most of the anti semitism is coming from those who are against the existence of Israel and favor Palestine.
I haven't seen many people who are against the existence of Israel. The positions that tend to get mischaracterized as anti-Israel are typically much more focused than that -- they're positions in favor of a separate Palestinian state that includes part of Jerusalem, for example, or they're positions in favor of recognizing the right of return of Palestinian refugees, or against the illegal settlements, or in favor of ending bigoted immigration policies or various apartheid policies of the Israeli state, or in favor of the US adopting more of a neutral "fair broker" position as between the two sides.

A good example of the mischaracterization is the link you provided. It spoke of an "anti-Israel" die-in. If you check less biased news sources, which recount the actual statements of the organizers, it was about "calling for an end to unconditional U.S. aid to Israel...." and an end to the siege of Gaza, as well as memorializing Palestinians killed in the fighting. That's not anti-Israel, any more than the protests about America's disastrous invasion of Iraq was anti-America.

Growing Protests in Boston Condemn Israeli Invasion of Palestinian Territories

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
CNN has a piece about this today.

But now, in 2018, this social contract between the nations of the world and Jewish collectivity is tearing apart at the seams. The Jewish state is being singled out among all nations for boycott, divestment and sanctions, viciously attacked in international forums, and is the subject of age-old anti-Semitic myths like the blood libel and global control. On the far right, they try to force us out of our countries; on the far left they try to force us out of our collectivity. We need governments around the world to speak openly and honestly against both these discriminatory efforts. Now is a time to speak against these trends and for our Jewish collectivity to be recognized and defended by those in leadership positions.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/opinions/anti-semitism-europe-social-contract-opinion-intl/index.html

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
What danger would that be? I may see your point, if what you're referring to is a danger that pro-Palestine activism can bleed into anti-Semitism, if people wind up letting their outrage of Likud's war crimes and human rights abuses fester into sentiments about Jews generally. But if you're going further and suggesting that somehow supporting recognizing Palestine as its own state is inherently anti-Semitic, I strongly disagree.

I haven't seen many people who are against the existence of Israel. The positions that tend to get mischaracterized as anti-Israel are typically much more focused than that -- they're positions in favor of a separate Palestinian state that includes part of Jerusalem, for example, or they're positions in favor of recognizing the right of return of Palestinian refugees, or against the illegal settlements, or in favor of ending bigoted immigration policies or various apartheid policies of the Israeli state, or in favor of the US adopting more of a neutral "fair broker" position as between the two sides.

A good example of the mischaracterization is the link you provided. It spoke of an "anti-Israel" die-in. If you check less biased news sources, which recount the actual statements of the organizers, it was about "calling for an end to unconditional U.S. aid to Israel...." and an end to the siege of Gaza, as well as memorializing Palestinians killed in the fighting. That's not anti-Israel, any more than the protests about America's disastrous invasion of Iraq was anti-America.

Growing Protests in Boston Condemn Israeli Invasion of Palestinian Territories
I dont think being for Palestine is anti Semitic as many do support or desire a two state solution. But I also dont think Israel should just sit back. They have a right to protect themselves. It seems many are against that but I do think there wont be any two state solution until Hamas is gone. Palestine recognized Hamas and there wont be peace with that. Taking out all religious and historical agendas, we have to realize that Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East and for that alone they should be supported.