"Individual Mandate" goes to Court

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
It would appear that the ACA and it's "Individual Mandate" is going to be headed for the Supreme Court and a decision is possible in late summer 2012, right in the middle of the Presidential election.

Question: If the Court rules that the "Individual Mandate" is in fact unconstitutional, will that put the Social Security mandate in jeopardy? If the government can not compel a citizen to have health care, can that same government compel all employees to participate in a retirement scheme.

If the government is forced to offer an "opt out" feature from Social Security to all employees will this effectively end the Social Security industry that has been built up to an huge nightmare since 1935?

I just love unforeseen consequences.

Feb 2011
happyfunville
Here's a question to all:
If you were offered an opt-out of SS, ending deductions from your paycheck but losing any money you'd put in, would you do it?

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
It would appear that the ACA and it's "Individual Mandate" is going to be headed for the Supreme Court and a decision is possible in late summer 2012, right in the middle of the Presidential election.

Question: If the Court rules that the "Individual Mandate" is in fact unconstitutional, will that put the Social Security mandate in jeopardy? If the government can not compel a citizen to have health care, can that same government compel all employees to participate in a retirement scheme.

If the government is forced to offer an "opt out" feature from Social Security to all employees will this effectively end the Social Security industry that has been built up to an huge nightmare since 1935?

I just love unforeseen consequences.
No, it would not affect SS. Court has already ruled on that a few times. It's constitutional.

If you were offered an opt-out of SS, ending deductions from your paycheck but losing any money you'd put in, would you do it?
No. You'd lose the 'employer match' side.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
If I were working and that option was available, I would take it in a heartbeat.

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
No, it would not affect SS. Court has already ruled on that a few times. It's constitutional.

No. You'd lose the 'employer match' side.

If the Individual Mandate will be ruled constitutional. But if it isn't ruled constitutional......things change. I bet there will be another court challenge to SS, if the administration loses this court case on the Individual Mandate.

Dec 2007
NY
Hell yea!
But I'm also a youngin, so I could make up for it.

Feb 2011
happyfunville
If I were working and that option was available, I would take it in a heartbeat.
I am working, 26 years in, and would opt out and relinquish what I've paid in in an instant. Why? Because I know I can better manage extra income than the government.

Feb 2010
I am working, 26 years in, and would opt out and relinquish what I've paid in in an instant. Why? Because I know I can better manage extra income than the government.
Can you save enough from that extra 6% to retire?