Inside the walls of Ireland's most progressive prison

Mar 2010
out
https://www.joe.ie/news/feature-inside-walls-irelands-progressive-prison-555131

[FONT=&amp]“The interesting thing from a research point of view is that you have guys who are coming through that door as first offenders, and guys who may have offended repeatedly due to social and family problems.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
“Then you have guys who are coming who have committed crimes that could have been down to mental health issues, could have been a scream for help, and hopefully this research will help us develop how to deal with that."[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Psychological research
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
The research that Healy is speaking about is being spearheaded by Dr. John Synnott from Dublin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Synnott is an Investigative Psychologist from the University of Huddersfield, working with Dr. Maria Ioannou and a research team to mine data and information that will prove invaluable to informing policy around the treatment of prisoners in Ireland.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
He believes that the innovative steps being taken in Shelton Abbey will have huge knock-on effects for the broader prison system.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
"One thing that we know from all the research, both nationally and internationally, is that prison, across the board, doesn't work in regards to effective punishment or rehabilitation," says Synnott.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
"This is evidenced in the reoffending rates that are consistently reported within the research literature. If you go to prison once then you are likely to go back there again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
"How do we stop this? You need innovative approaches and you need to develop evidence-based research to inform practice.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
"It's a more relaxed atmosphere here (at Shelton Abbey) than what you will find in other facilities where it's very lock-and-key, which is a necessity.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
"Here, these guys are empowered to contribute to the upkeep and the well-being of where they live and you can see it all around you with the activity that's going on. All of this is offender-driven, all the contributions come from the inmates and those opportunities aren't available in other institutions, obviously for a variety of reasons, security being paramount.[/FONT]
Thoughts?

Nov 2010
Rehabilitate vs solely punish. Our prison system is a disgrace, it has no intention of rehabilitating. it's designed to keep as many people locked up for as long as possible with little ability to be reintegrated back into society

Jul 2014
midwest
No therapy dogs?

No coloring books?

No Play Doh?

They need to get some REAL therapy programs, like American Universities have...

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
There isn't a one size fits all solution. Some prisoners need rehabilitation, like job training or drug/alcohol rehab, so that they can fit back into society. Some need punished so that they will be deterred from future criminal acts. And some people are truly evil and need to be locked away.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
There isn't a one size fits all solution. Some prisoners need rehabilitation, like job training or drug/alcohol rehab, so that they can fit back into society. Some need punished so that they will be deterred from future criminal acts. And some people are truly evil and need to be locked away.
I used to be a real "hang-em-high" type, especially related to any violent crimes. And my gut reaction still goes that way. But a criminologist who actually studied these things convinced me that prison, and the threat of prison is not a deterrent to those types of people. Either they commit their crimes in a highly emotional state where they don't even consider consequences, or they are so conceited they think they will not get caught. And logic just isn't a part of the decision making process.

His proposed solution is intensive therapy and continued study. But he admits that at present, the failure rate is huge. I suggested the violent ones just be dragged to the nearest dumpster and a small object be inserted behind their left ear at high velocity. Better known as a .22.

He didn't like my alternative.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I used to be a real "hang-em-high" type, especially related to any violent crimes. And my gut reaction still goes that way. But a criminologist who actually studied these things convinced me that prison, and the threat of prison is not a deterrent to those types of people. Either they commit their crimes in a highly emotional state where they don't even consider consequences, or they are so conceited they think they will not get caught. And logic just isn't a part of the decision making process.

His proposed solution is intensive therapy and continued study. But he admits that at present, the failure rate is huge. I suggested the violent ones just be dragged to the nearest dumpster and a small object be inserted behind their left ear at high velocity. Better known as a .22.

Are you Rodrigo Duterte, by any chance? lol

Oct 2015
ohio

Then you would be killing a ton of young minority males who probably don't have any father figures in their life and have chosen to join a gang instead to fill that void. Most likely at ages as young as 12 or 13.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Then you would be killing a ton of young minority males who probably don't have any father figures in their life and have chosen to join a gang instead to fill that void. Most likely at ages as young as 12 or 13.
Come up with a fix that will protect society.

I'd love to know it could be done, but all evidence thus far indicates it's mission impossible with reasonable assumptions.