Interesting article on history of Crimea

Oct 2014
British expat in USA
Definitely interesting. When a piece of territory has been fought over for so long, it's always going to have the potential to go weird again.

You said a while back that Crimea was more Russian than anything, and I think I gathered that you thought it was better off as part of Russia. Is that true?

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Definitely interesting. When a piece of territory has been fought over for so long, it's always going to have the potential to go weird again.

You said a while back that Crimea was more Russian than anything, and I think I gathered that you thought it was better off as part of Russia. Is that true?
I mean, at this point, yes.

Vast majority there would never agree to go back to Ukraine. Certainly not the ethnic Russian population.

Plenty of the Tatars may grumble about Russian rule, in private, but not enough to actually really fight against it in any meaningful way. Many have all sorts of business ties with Russia, and with ethnic Russians, and are not going to screw that up, regardless.

And majority of the ethnic Ukrainians, the most opposed to Russia ones have simply left, for their mainland; and the small minority that still remain there, are, frankly, scared to even so much as speak their language in public, lest they be branded pro-Kiev. I just recently read a story about this, from a guy I went to school with in Moscow, who is from Crimea originally and goes back there often to visit relatives, of whom half are Russians and half - Ukrainians. He was so used to greeting his uncle loudly in Ukrainian, "Zdorovinki bylu!" and started to this time, back in August he was there. But this time, the old guy hurriedly shushed him, at the door. He was afraid the neighbors might hear them talking in Ukrainian, and someone who has a beef with him maybe might then contact the authorities and make up shit about him and cause him all sorts of problems... :(

Nasty, these days... Very sad... :(

FWIW, in many parts of Ukraine, speaking Russian is treated same way...

Fratricidal conflicts are awful, that way...

But, yeah, I don't see Crimea going back, it really is a "closed question", at this point, as Russia's foreign ministry says...

Reactions: tnbskts