Introducing Your Two "Third Parties"

May 2013
12,544
7,065
Banned Camp Segregation Unit
#1
And who are they? They're quite familiar, noisy, and in the end, pointless. Yes, the two major THIRD parties are your Democrats and Republicans!

Wasn't long ago, independent voters were 40% of the nation's voters, and that continues to creep up where today, it's 42%. That makes independent voters the largest voting bloc in the United States, and if you split the remaining 58% down the middle, that leaves your two corporate third parties with 29% of the voters each.

So, congratulations to the Democrats and Republicans for hating, dumbing, and ass-kissing your way down another few percentage points. At this rate, in about 30 years you can hold your silly, meaningless national conventions in a fuckin' phone booth!
 
Likes: 4 people
Nov 2013
8,226
5,285
Bay Area
#2
"Third" parties will achieve jack boot. They'll simply be sucked into the capital controlled framework. Case in point, the British Labour Party. Solution? Abolish private ownership of the means of production. Anything less is akin to peeing into the wind. So long as extremely concentrated wealth exists it will control society. There's no way around that fact.

the golden rule- he who has the gold makes the rules
 

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
15,162
9,940
SoCal
#3
Does 42% of the electorate swing vote? No way. Voters might refuse to identify themselves with the two major parties but there isn't 42% of the electorate up for grabs in any election. The election numbers indicate that while many voters won't state a party preference, the actual number of swing voters is very small.

The poll you cited says that 31% of Americans identify themselves as Democrats and 25% as GOP. When it comes to actual election outcomes rather than pre election polling, it's the Democrats who have gained the majority vote (2012: 51.1 to 47.2; 2008: 53 to 46).

Even with the hard economic conditions and the missteps in the ACA, the Democrats are positioned to win national elections due to the extreme unpopularity of the GOP/TP agenda.
 
Sep 2011
24,999
17,444
aMEEErica
#4
And who are they? They're quite familiar, noisy, and in the end, pointless. Yes, the two major THIRD parties are your Democrats and Republicans!

Wasn't long ago, independent voters were 40% of the nation's voters, and that continues to creep up where today, it's 42%. That makes independent voters the largest voting bloc in the United States, and if you split the remaining 58% down the middle, that leaves your two corporate third parties with 29% of the voters each.

So, congratulations to the Democrats and Republicans for hating, dumbing, and ass-kissing your way down another few percentage points. At this rate, in about 30 years you can hold your silly, meaningless national conventions in a fuckin' phone booth!
Well, then let's bring on the third-party candidate who will certainly be a shoe-in... uuuum.

:stung:

edit: I will admit though, I like Bernie Sanders!

Thx :)
 
Last edited:
May 2013
12,544
7,065
Banned Camp Segregation Unit
#5
Does 42% of the electorate swing vote? No way. Voters might refuse to identify themselves with the two major parties but there isn't 42% of the electorate up for grabs in any election. The election numbers indicate that while many voters won't state a party preference, the actual number of swing voters is very small.

The poll you cited says that 31% of Americans identify themselves as Democrats and 25% as GOP. When it comes to actual election outcomes rather than pre election polling, it's the Democrats who have gained the majority vote (2012: 51.1 to 47.2; 2008: 53 to 46).

Even with the hard economic conditions and the missteps in the ACA, the Democrats are positioned to win national elections due to the extreme unpopularity of the GOP/TP agenda.
It's a glacier process, but it's happening. Yea, the Dems and GOP still hold the gold and that means they still do the bidding for the Corporate Oligarchy. Hey, I'm not so sure that "we the people" will ever return, but it's nice to see a shift in that direction, if only for awhile.
 
Nov 2013
8,226
5,285
Bay Area
#6
It's a glacier process, but it's happening. Yea, the Dems and GOP still hold the gold and that means they still do the bidding for the Corporate Oligarchy. Hey, I'm not so sure that "we the people" will ever return, but it's nice to see a shift in that direction, if only for awhile.
"We the people" has never existed. Or has it? Don't you think, maybe, this country was founded to place the rich white land owning/merchant class in power?
 
Likes: 1 person
Jan 2014
16,414
6,263
south
#7
"Third" parties will achieve jack boot. They'll simply be sucked into the capital controlled framework. Case in point, the British Labour Party. Solution? Abolish private ownership of the means of production. Anything less is akin to peeing into the wind. So long as extremely concentrated wealth exists it will control society. There's no way around that fact.

the golden rule- he who has the gold makes the rules
I think that is one way to look at it. personally, I don't support that method. I would support to evolution of our system into a direct democracy, though.
 

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
15,162
9,940
SoCal
#8
It's a glacier process, but it's happening. Yea, the Dems and GOP still hold the gold and that means they still do the bidding for the Corporate Oligarchy. Hey, I'm not so sure that "we the people" will ever return, but it's nice to see a shift in that direction, if only for awhile.
Building coalitions and compromising is the art of politics. That used to be achievable in Washington DC. For Democrats, that means progressives, corporatists and blue dogs have to agree -- not a pretty thing to watch the making of sausage.

The GOP was shocked by the election of Bill Clinton in 1992. It regarded Clinton as the illegitimate beneficiary of Ross Perot's Reform Party, and in essence, entitled to the WH after 12 years of Reagan/Bush supply side-ism, and easy national victories over hapless divided demoralized Democrats (recall that in the 1980s, it was sufficient to label a Democratic candidate with the L Word to win office). The response to the 1992 election was the Arkansas Project. Fast forward to 2008 and the election of Obama after 8 years of Bush and the two very controversial elections that placed Bush in office and returned him to office. The response to 2008 was the Tea Party.

My point is that democracy is very messy. There isn't any way to eliminate corporatists and blue dogs from the Democratic fold without conducting ideological purges like the GOP/TP. What's more, Democrats should not want to because these constituencies are what allow the Democrats to achieve national electoral majorities. A blue dog isn't the same thing as a GOP/TP although they spring from the same political terrain.
 
Last edited: